How do u start u baby on baby cereal?

my son is 3 months old is that to soon?

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 2:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I waited until 6 months. Some babies are ready sooner, but my thought is that if you have to put it in a bottle, you're baby's not ready. Might as well wait until they have the interest and ability to eat from a spoon. You can try at 4 months and see how it goes. If baby's not ready, wait a week or two and try again.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• WAY too soon. No solids should be started until after at least 6 months. It can cause choking and allergies if introduced sooner. Keep your baby on an all liquid (formula or breast milk) until he's at least 6 months old.
    Anonymous

• i thought u could start on cereal at 3 or 4 months or something like that
    Anonymous

• Thankx lvpenquino that helps ill try that and i wasnt going to put it in a bottle i heard that ur not suppose to do that
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 2:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I waited until my baby was almost 6 months old. You could tell he was ready by following every move I made when eating (sometimes he even imitated me chewing..lol) and he wanted to take stuff off my plate so bad. Also I heard, babies are ready to eat when they stop pushing things out of their mouth with their tongue (not sure what that reflex is called). 3 months is too young to start with cereal, some moms start at 4 months my son was just not ready then.
    But to answer your question about how to do it. Not sure if I did it right or not but I just pumped (I BFed exclusively until then) 1-2 oz then mixed with with rice cereal to a concistency I thought he would tolerate, then I just fed him until he was full. I heard when you BF you should nurse him first then give him solids, but that never made much sense to me cause then he might get full. That;s why I just pump instead:) Good luck!
    januarymom81

Answer by januarymom81 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My daughter was 2 months early and so she was in the hospital, NICU, program for two months. When she was a 6 weeks they started her on baby cereal - they'd put just a little in her formula and then by the time she was 6 months we were adding more baby cereal in her bottle and giving her some outside of the bottle.
    USNmomwife

Answer by USNmomwife at 3:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• yes three months is WAY too soon. Wait until your pedi tells you its ok.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2009