How can I get hubby to go along with the group activities on vacation?

My hubby always has to do what he wants on vacation, but this year is diffrent- we had a baby and he is only 12 months old. My hubby wants to drive straight for 6 hours no stopping- which I told him we cant do- baby needs a diaper change and bottle and I need to stretch-bad back. We are meeting relatives and they want to stop and see sites along the way- my hubby doesnt- he said nobody wants to do what he wants and is being rude to me. He pitched a fit last time we went away and sat in hotel 1 day- cause he was outvoted to do something and I told him we would do his thing later- but he wouldnt go out. Im afraid he'll ruin our vacation with being immature- u see his Mom always gave him his own way and still does today- he can never be wrong. I really want to have a good time and we need to stop for the baby at times. He thinks vacations can be like before baby came and they cant. If u meet people u cant do it ur way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• Maybe try planning some things in advance before you leave so you are all on the same page. If he still isn't willing to consider anyone elses wants or needs take separate vacations!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You guys need to go on a vacation without all the extra family members. Maybe a vacation w/ just you two & the baby would be nice. Think about it though, not sure how your work schedule is, but most people only get 1 maybe 2 GOOD vacations a year. I would be bummed if i took time off from work & ended up doing stuff that i did not like, & missing the things that i wanted to do. I would let my hubby do what he wanted, even if it meant me staying back w/ the family while he went & did what makes him happy on his vacation. I'm sure there has got to be some way you guys can compromise better. I certainly did not let having a baby ruin fun things that i wanted to do.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm thinking if he isn't willing to compromise on the six hour drive with no stops for your and the baby's comfort he probably isn't going to compromise on much else either. I don't know why men can get like that! Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I agree with samurai_chica 100%.

Vacation by yourselves without any extra family members. Do activities that you two want to do without extra pressures.

If this is one of his rare vacation times, I don't blame him for wanting to do his own thing.

Plan out a trip that interests you both but accommodates the baby.

Consider taking a weekend trip with just the two of you and leaving the baby with grandparents/caretaker so you can both relax.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 9:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2009