I'd love to know if any one has had an experience with a spanish (or other language) immersion program from kindergarten to grade 5, and what your experience has been like

My son will start kindergarten this fall, and is enrolled into a spanish immersion program. I'm apprehensive (I dont speak spanish), but also excited to give him this opportunity. I'd love to hear your experience with language immersion.

jagpawmom

Asked by jagpawmom at 2:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I do the opposite, I teach mainly spanish speaking children in english. They learn very fast and often speak english better than their parents by the end of kindergarten. I think giving your child a second language at this age is smart, and it will be a great asset as he gets older.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My school district forces kids to take spanish from kindergsarten to high school -then in hs then can pick spanish, german, or french or nothing. My daughter is in 9th grade and only can understand a few word and can translate with the help of a book from written spanish words- so it would help if she went on vacation to a spanish speaking place, but she can not carry on an extensive conversation- she understands some. I think for u to really learn it has to be spoken in the home as well off and on- not just a few hrs a week at a school.
    Anonymous

• My two sons are in a Spanish / English immersion program. They have recently changed the program, so that my younger son (going into 1st grade now) is in an essentially 50/50 program, while my older son (4th grade) does only about 20% Spanish. I speak a little Spanish, but I have had my nanny speak only Spanish to them since birth. I am a huge fan of learning at least one additional language from a young age. Most other countries do it, and as our world gets smaller I believe the ability to function in more than one language will be increasingly important.
    3SonFun

Answer by 3SonFun at 2:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I taught at a Spanish immersion school for a short time. It's really good for the kids, if you want to learn a new language it's best to start young. I know I can just barely get by in French because I started French classes at age 11 but I tried to learn Spanish as an adult and I totally can't get it.
    Anonymous

• My kids go to a French school. My dd will be starting 3rd grade next year. She has been at the school for K, 1st, and 2nd. She's pretty fluent already. She can read, write, speak, and understand French almost as well as English. We do not speak French in the home so, regardless of what another poster said, it's not necessary to speak the foreign language in the home if their school is a true immersion school.

My son was in Kindergarten this year. He could already read English at a 4th grade level when he started school. He can now read simple French books. He knows a lot of what's said to him in French and he speaks a little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• 2 words dora explorer ! i've been teaching my daughter spainish with it and she really finds it a breeze to learn a second language. here are 2 more programs but at a small fee to get via internet; rosetta stone does beginner courses, and so does muzzy ?! the second one is gear for kids in age range you mention, that is interactive the kids seem to find popular. hope this helps !
    kays_mom

Answer by kays_mom at 4:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2009