Help with non-sleeping baby

My daughter used to sleep through the night. Maybe get up once to eat, but that was it.
She's 4 months now, and the 2 weeks or so she has been getting up all throughout the night. She isn't fussing, just waking up and not wanting to sleep!
She doesn't nap in the day really either, just afew catnaps here and there. Sometimes not even that.
I tried keeping her up a bit later but it made no difference. I give her a bath and put her down between 8 and 9 every night, because that's when she starts acting tired...
Last night she got up at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 2:30, 4 untill 5, then slept till 8 and was awake since then...
What can I do to help her sleep?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 2:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give her some really milky baby cereal and that might help it did with my first
    Anonymous

• try feeding her some rice cereal during the day.my babies pediatrician suggested putting a little rice cereal in here bottle(many people do not agree with doing this though, and NO I never did it but see nothing wrong with it if someone wanted to give it a try). Good Luck and hope you get some sleep soon! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I did start her on cereal, I give it in the evening. I will try it in the day today though.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Mine was the worst napper ever too. She would catnap(20 min) all day. Eventually the older she got she just kind of stopped and slept longer. I can't give you any great advice on the night part sorry, but the catnapping will stop. It just might be a few more months :)
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We did a survey on the Breastfeeding Moms group some time ago, and the overwhleming majority of moms stated that cereal actually made their baby sleep WORSE.

You can try it. BUT...sleep patterns normally change constantly through year one, and what you do typically does nothing but make you feel like you're trying to do something. **smile**

The only things we're guaranteed as moms? Death, taxes, and never sleeping a full night again.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• By the way...if you're giving cereal at night and the not-sleeping coincided with the feeding of cereal...guess what needs to change? **smile**

• My 4 mos. old has been doing this all along. She's never slept for longer than a 3 or 4 hour stretch at once and is up like clockwork every 3 hrs. Getting up so often is normal behavior, sleeping through the night isn't, so I'd say her behavior is pretty normal (sucks, I know all to well!). So basically I haven't slept for longer than 3 hrs at a time in 4 mos and I'm exhausted. On top of that, my DD rarely naps. She takes like 30 mins. naps a few times a day! Last night, rather than feed her when she normally woke, my DH and I just patted her back to sleep at 10 mins. intervals. She fell asleep and stayed asleep for over 4 hrs! It was a miracle. I'm hoping it means we're making progress but who knows.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Maybe she's overtired? We let mine CIO, while checking on her at regular intervals and it always worked for us. Just suggesting it, although it's not for the faint of heart.
    Anonymous