Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should I settle for less child support?

my husband makes over 150k a year. for child support, he wants to give me half of what he's supposed to. I neeed to find a place of my own and be able to raise my son and also put him in daycare. if we go through the courts, it will be battle and really stressful and I will probably get the full amount.....if not, we can agree on our own, but I only get a portion of what I'm really supposed to. which would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (11)
  • The way they figure child support is by considering your income and his.. so the amount that you are supposed to get it already figured! So you should def. go for the amount, no negotiating, tell him that it is only fair to do it that way, plus thats alot of money and you will be set and not have to worry.

    Answer by MickeysMom19 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • Is he willing to pay for 1/2 of daycare and health ins. for your son. Lots of settlements figure that he keeps him on the ins. and you split all medical bills. In our state standard is 20 to 25% of pay, but not sure if it is after taxes. My friends even have a school clothing allowance. I think him paying $2000/month is alot for 1 child (based on the above percentage) 25% he could be paying $3000/month. The most I have heard of guys paying is 700 to 800/month and splitting some of the other expenses. I guess you will just have to see how it works on paper. Is it a fair amount? If you are working at a reasonable job can you support your child with the amount he is offering? You could always go back in a few yrs and have it increased...How much time will he be spending with your son?

    Answer by ria7 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • My ex is a registered nurse and I get $400.00 a month and he has to keep her on his health and dental insurance and when she was younger - he had to pay 75% of her daycare bill - no dont settle for less money- ur child is entitled to a good life, and u will have bills.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • go to court.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • I agree also..
    go to court....let the courts decide how much he should give you..not him...what does he know..

    There is alot more that he should be paying outside of someone else mentioned..
    Health Care, Day Care, Does he have a life insurance policy and are you and the kids on it..

    If you are married I would highly recommend a lawyer....there is alot that goes into a divorce
    when children are involved..

    Educate yourself, do not settle..It will bite you in the ass later on

    Answer by Dannee at 3:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • NO! You get him for what he SHOULD be paying.

    My Mom made the mistake of "settling", and my Father didn't do his part in helping with expenses. GET THE MONEY YOUR CHILDREN DESERVE FROM THEIR FATHER!

    Answer by carliemarie1015 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • Do NOT settle for less now or you may regret it later. Child support is based on what HE makes, not what your income is. You can ask him if he would rather pay the full amount that is ordered or half of everything that you spend on your son and that includes rent/mortgage, utilities, food, car insurance/payment, copays for insurance and premiums, clothes, shoes, school fees/supplies, extra curricular actvities,and out of pocket medical costs (Tylenol, etc). Entertainment and fun things (books, toys, etc) are also included. (This is the list that a family court judge gave to my ex when he thought $50 a week was too much support). He is happy with the $50 a week because the half of expenses was a whole lot more.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • Don't settle there is a formula used and he should pay the full amount. If he actually loves his kids he will pay his support and not complain about it. Child support is pretty cut and dry so go to court. This is for the kids and not about what he wants.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • it will not be a battle. All you have to do is complete the child support worksheet (mine was on a computer) based on what you make & w/ proof. They base it on the difference between you guys. So, even if he wants to give you less...legally, he will not be able to. Don't worry about it. He makes enough, & you will get your child support. Do not settle for nothing.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 4:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Kids sleeping in their own bed