is it ok to take pills when breastfeeding/??

i just got the TRI-SPRINTEC pills
and i am wondering if it will affect my baby when breastfeeding when i take them
also. i wanted to know if anyont took these pills and what side effects u had.

THANKS :)

Perez18

Asked by Perez18 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go to www.walgreen.com and look up the drug interactions, it will tell you there if you should take them while breastfeeding or not. Better yet, CALL YOUR DOCTOR and ask, that is what they are there for.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My doctor (obgyn) gave me a special birth control pill for moms who are breastfeeding. I don't remember what it is called, but they do have them...just ask. I got them at one of my post-baby check-ups.
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I checked on webmd.com and it had nothing about how it would react if you were breastfeeding, just a huge list about other conditions. I would really just ask your doctor to be safe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• According to the company website this has estrogen. Estrogen is a KNOWN supply killer. Get onto a NON-estrogen birth control pill.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Get on the mini pill if you're nursing. That's what I took whenever I was nursing my second, and I didn't have any problems with it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Kellymom.com article written by a registered lactation consultant. References for the article include Dr. Hale the leading expert on medications and mother's milk:
    General info on birth control and breastfeeding.

As one mom already mentioned, estrogen pills are linked to low supply issues. I would switch to a mini pill or one that does not contain estrogen, just to be safe.

Anonymous