When did you...

turn your babies car seat to face forward, my mother keeps telling me it's time to switch it up, but...My son is a year old in a week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They say you can change it to facing forward when baby is 1 year old. If you are scared, just talk to your pediatrician and see what he thinks. Ususally they'll tell you that at 1 year old it is safe:)
    januarymom81

Answer by januarymom81 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The lastest advise that just came out this week is rear facing until four years old. It's not the law, but rather a medical study that also advises children stay in seats with five-point harnesses until 80 pounds.

I would check your state laws, because even at 1, there is usually a weight limit that must be met.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You can't turn a child FF before 1 year AND 20 lbs, but you CAN wait even longer, as it is safer. My son will be 2 in August, and is still rear facing. He is somewhere between 22-24 lbs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• P.S. I would not talk to my pediatrician about this, unless they have specific training in car seats. I would speak to a CPST on car seat issues, and a pedi on health issues.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Okay the laws say 1 year AND 20 lbs so even if he is 1 year old he still needs to be 20 lbs before he can be turned FF. That being said RF is the safest way so keep that child in a convertible seat RF until they hit either the weight or height limit of the seat RF.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I kept my son rear facing until 18 months and 24 lbs. I might have gone longer but he started fighting getting in the seat and it was just too much trouble. My daughter is 19 months and still rear facing, but she also only about 19 lbs. I'll probably turn her around when she turns 2. My mom harrasses me about it and tells me how ridiculous I am and stuff, but I feel safer this way, plus my daughter really shouldn't be turned around anyway even by the minimum standards.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2009