If you have had a homebirth what are your thoughts?

I am not even pregnant but I was wondering how your homebirth experience went. I think I would like to do this for my next delivery but honestly I am scared. What if something goes wrong? Who cares for the baby just after he/she is born and does all the medical stuff involved with a newborn? Yes, I do have to ask how messy is it and how do you prepare for the "clean up?" Does the midwife help you with that?
Thanks ladies :)

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a homebirth and it was amazing. They key is to find a midwife that you are comfortable with. After I had my son they did laundry, cooked for me along with taking measurements etc. Its all about educating yourself about your options. If you have a low or no risk pregnancy then I reccomend it. Midwives usually wont take you have an issue that will complicate things. People have been giving birth for millions of years, its a normal natural process. I wasn't sick or dying, I was having a baby. I don't see why I'd need to go to the hospital for that. It was wonderful to be able to labor at my own pace with no one rushing me or pressuring me. I had complete control over who was there, if there was music or silence, lights temperature, everything. Truly an amazing experience that I wish everyone could have.
    qwertykat

Answer by qwertykat at 4:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Midwives are trained to recognize problems that may arise in pregnancy, labor and delivery. This includes placenta previa and even hemorrhaging (they are usually equipped to handle a degree of hemorrhage and if it persists they will transfer to hospital, though so far I haven't attended any births that ended in transfer. Midwives handle Mother and Baby assessments after the baby is born as well as a few days to a week after and so on. Many women don't know that Midwives can be seen for well-woman care (regular OBGYN visits), not just birth. So you can continue to see her during postpartum and onward! If you have a Doula (which I am) along with your Midwife, they are generally the ones who will clean up afterward while you enjoy your little one. With homebirth you generally buy plastic sheets and chux pads (like puppy pads) to protect your furniture and make an easier clean up.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 6:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Just wanted to add I have not yet experienced a home birth of my own, I just experience other moms' births as a doula. =) I do plan to have my own in the future.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 6:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009