When to switch to a bigger car seat?

My son is 4 months old and weighs 21 pounds. He is 26 inches long. His car seat says to use up to 22 pounds. Is he still too young to go to a bigger seat, or is it all about the weight? I don't want to switch too soon, but I also don't want to keep him in one he is too big for. Any help I would appreciate. Thank you.

alr626

Asked by alr626 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a convertible seat. It can face backwards, then be switched to forward facing when he is old enough. Do not face him forward until he is at least one year old, preferably older. The reason they say one year and 20 lbs is because until the year old mark, babies do not have enough muscle in their neck to prevent their spinal cord from severing in a crash. The 20 lbs is usually just because of seat rating for weight.

So find a nice convertible seat for him, and you'll be set.
    Anonymous

• He can use a convertible seat. These seats go from birth to 80 lbs, depending on the particular seat. I recommend the True Fit, which RF to 35 lbs, and FF from 22 to 65 lbs. You can't turn a child forward before one year and 20 lbs, and you don't HAVE to turn them forward until 35 lbs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yep get a bigger seat, I put my 4 month old son in his convertible carseat this weekend and he loves it! He is still facing backward of course but he can see out the windows and likes sitting up instead of laying back.
    Katie0224

Answer by Katie0224 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• A rear facing convertible since he needs to stay rear facing until 1 year AND 20 lbs. A convertible typically goes rear facing up to 30-35 lbs. My kids were light weights and were rear facing until they hit 35 lbs and that was almost 2 years old for both of them. Keeping them in the infant carrier past the weight limit is dangerous! That is why there are height and weight limits on the seats.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• He'll need a convertible seat... you for sure don't want him to go over the weight limit of his seat... so unless you want to weight him weekly, you'll need to get one ASAP.
    There are a bunch of good convertibles in all price ranges. You'll want to go to the store and check how they fit your baby. Babies R Us will let you check them out in your car too... so you know it fits. They look HUGE but if an infant seat fit in your car the convertible will fit too.
    In price order low to high these are good seats: Cosco Scenera, Evenflo Triumph Advance, Graco Myride 65, First Years True Fit, and a wide range of Britax convertibles.
    Stay away from any seats that are 3 in 1 convertibles.. they tend to not last long and you will end up getting another seat before your child is ready for something else.
    Also, look into extended rear facing, the AAP states children should rear face to 2 years MINIMUM (not the 1 and 20)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009