I feel like my son is behind.

Hearing stories about me as a baby, makes me feel like my son is no where near what a one year old "should be like" (one in a week)He doesnt say any words, mummbles Mama, Dada, and yells like crazy, he walks (like a drunk haha) but walks none the less. He responds to his name, all that good stuff, but I see other one year old's and I know all babies are the same, but are any other mothers having this issue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies develop on their own schedule. There is a wonderful book on developmental milestones call Touchpoints by Dr. T. Berry Brazelton; you should be able to borrow a copy from your local library. There is also great information on the website: www.touchpoints.org.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It is very hard to not compare but all babies truly do develop at their own pace. By the time they hit 3, most differences are evening out. By the time they hit first grade, the differences are pretty much gone.
    BabyCenter has some good developmental charts:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-7-to-12-months_1496587.bc

The best way to use these charts is to use them to spot problems and to see what is coming up. For example, if your child can't do the things in the first column (Mastered Skills) that kids 3 months younger than him can do, then talk to your doctor. That is a concern. And then you look at the other two columns for kids a month younger, his age, and a month or two older to find out what he is trying to learn to do so you can get toys and make up games to help support that... he can't learn to scribble if he never gets crayons, can't stack blocks if he doesn't have any.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• my son was the same way. hes a little over 2 years now and hes right on track. but when he was 1 he hardly talked. my husband and i thought the same thing you did, that he was behind. even at 2 years we thought he was a little behind with his talking and understanding, now hes just fine. when it happens it seems like its over night that he starts really talking and understanding. just hang in there. it will happen. and then you'll be ready for him to be quiet
    jacksonsmom316

Answer by jacksonsmom316 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2009