Can I use fondant on a boxed cake mix?

I am very new at using fondant. I made my own the other day, but haven't used it yet. I've heard that you shouldn't put fondant on a boxed cake mix because it will collapse since it is moist, but I am having a very hard time finding a cake recipe that doesn't require odd ball ingredients. Has anyone ever used fondant over a boxed cake mix before and is there a way to tweak the boxed cake mix so that it won't be so moist? Thanks for your help!

mommy_of_isaiah

Asked by mommy_of_isaiah at 3:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You might be able to. Try putting some wooded dowels cut off in the cake for support. and put a crumb coat on the cake before you put the fondant on.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 3:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Put a thin layer or frosting on the cake first and then use the fondant. You should be ok then.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I found this from thatsmyhome.com - I am thinking that a pound cake would work better.

Basic Pound Cake from Mix

1 package plain yellow cake mix (18 oz)
    3 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup oil
    4 large eggs

Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325ºF. Lightly mist a 10 inch tube pan or 12 cup Bundt pan or in layer pans with the vegetable oil spray, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pan aside.

Place the cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides of the bowl down again if needed. The batter should look well blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula. Pla

Answer by Bmat at 4:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Place the pan in the oven and bake until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched with your finger, about 58-60 minutes for a tube pan. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.

Answer by Bmat at 4:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I have only used fondant for petit fours, and I didn't use a mix.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I've used fondant on mix cakes many times with no trouble. Wilton actually recommends using Duncan Hines mixes because they hold up nicely and don't tend to crumb when you spread the buttercream on.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I used fondant on a box cake mix. It turned out great, it didn't collapse.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I am an avid cake baker/decorator and I have covered box cake mix with fondant lots of times. One thing I do is add 1 extra egg to the mix I also use milk instead of water and add 1 box of instant pudding to the mix. Your cake will come out super moist and will hold the fondant just fine. You do have to put a layer of frosting on the cake before you apply the fondant, but you have to do that with any cake.

Mom2Joshua

Answer by Mom2Joshua at 11:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2009