I feel like my son is behind...

Hearing stories about me as a baby, makes me feel like my son is no where near what a one year old "should be like" (one in a week)He doesnt say any words, mummbles Mama, Dada, and yells like crazy, he walks (like a drunk haha) but walks none the less. He responds to his name, all that good stuff, but I see other one year old's and I know all babies are the same, but are any other mothers having this issue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter his one year (11 months adjusted), she didn't say more than "mama" or "dada". She was verbally behind, but physically, she was ahead by a few months. I know people who had kids saying 20 or more words by one year old, but the kid wouldn't even pull himself up into a standing position. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Anonymous

• There are local, usually county run programs, that can help you assess the developmental delays you may be concerned about. The service is usually free. I think you might do well to at least ease you concerns by giving them a call. Sounds like a normal child to me :) But at the very least they can give you tips to help encourage development. I did this with my son and his vocabulary has quadrupled since we started. Help Me Grow is the name of the program in some places. You might google that and your county name or state name and see if you can find the program name for your area- also the health department sometimes have information on that service... GL!

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• YUP! My dd is now 19 months and wasn't into talking until last week. Now she is up at the suggested level of words for her age (45) suddenly! She babbled mama and dada at a year... maybe said Ball, but it suddenly grew! He is advancing in other areas and will catch up with speech... it's ok! I worried too until last week :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't worry too much right now, but in a few months if your child has not learned any new words or sounds, def google early intervention and your state...they will evaulate your child and go from there.
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 3:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I just had a conversation the other day with my DDs pedi about her not talking, shes 18 months, the Dr said that there is nothing to worry about and she is not behind. She is advanced as far as other aspects go, so she'll catch up on talking later. So if my DD is ok at 18 months Im sure yours is at 12 months. If you are still concerned talk to your Dr about it.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'd give her a bit longer. Kids do progress at different rates and nothing your child is doing strikes me as being particularly behind. However, if at 18 months she doesn't have 10 to 20 words (note that "words" at this point are sounds she uses consistently for an object or action but may not sound like the real word), ask your doctor about it. My doctor recommended having my son evaluated and he started speech therapy shortly thereafter. He's still a bit behind but making wonderful progress. He might have done the same thing on his own by it gave me peace of mind to get the help.
    Anonymous

• This is from experience only, children don't start saying more than a few words or putting short sentences together until they are 2.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2009