is it okay to smack his hand?

is it okay to smack the hand of a 7 month old? he has just started crawling, and loves to find things hes not supposed to. the house is baby proofed as much as it can but there are still cords that we can't hide and he likes to get them. we say no, and he doesnt really care about it. would it be okay to give him a light slap on the hand when i tell him no. or is he too young for that. if not any other suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not be slapping the hand of a 7 month old. I would be using re-direction. Move him away from it as many times as you have to. Give him a toy, or something else he can play with. You might even buy some toys and keep them up and away from the child except for when using them for redirection.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No! He is a BABY and babies need to be taught what they can and cannot do, not be smacked on the hand. When he touches something that you don't want him to, redirect his attention, and do so as many times as it takes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I believe in spanking, not beating. I would not spank a 7 month old however I think it is okay to lightly slap there hand or they will not learn.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 3:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• abbibaileylily
    i too believe in spanking But i still would not be slapping the hand or hitting a child under a year in any way for any reason.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I tap my six month old daughter's hand and tell her "No ma'am. Do not touch (insert object here)." Then I redirect her attention away from it.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with a tap on the hand. Spanking, on the other hand, I do not agree with. The thing is, when you smack a seven month old's hand, it's really not doing anything for anyone other than yourself. Babies this young have short memory spans, so by the time they do a bad behavior the second time, they don't remember that it's bad. They don't remember being punished for it the first time.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I agree with abbibaileylily...I don't beat my son's hand but I tap it and he is already understanding what it means. You can redirect too but they need to understand to not touch something that could be very harmful to them
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't do it till they're over a year. I fully believe that some offenses warrant a spank or slap on the hand, but not at that age.
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 3:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think it's totally okay. I have done it with my daughter since she is about that age and she hasn't been getting into things like that anymore (occasionally she will, but that's just to see if she'll get the same response as before). I find nothing wrong with teaching a child boundaries. We can't all live in foam and bubbles, we need things to function and some of those things are dangerous or inappropriate for baby to play with.

I find "smacking" or "tapping" her hand more effective at this age than spanking just because she can see you do it and it registers to her brain better. It doesn't even have to be hard, just enough to get the point across. IMO redirection only spoils the child into thinking that if they are doing something they shouldn't then they get good attention from you and possibly a toy to play with. It doesn't make sense to use that as teaching a child not to do or get in to something.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• was not is that age, sorry =) She's 9 months now.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• A tap and a smack are different too, so its debatable. I tap my DD all the time, like a tap on the shoulder (in feeling) to get her attention or pat her butt to get her attention (or when we're playing...she thinks its so funny). But i never do it to cause any pain. She's 8 months and too young for that yet. I usually tell her "No" in a firm (not loud) voice and redirect her. She usually gets distracted when i do that.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009