Labeling children too soon?

My 2 1/2 year old son is delayed...he has been in speech for the past 6 months and Early intervention for the last month. We are in the process for getting him OT therapy. Everyone seems to want to label my son, I just feel he is still young, maybe I am in denial...but shouldn't we try every possible therapy before just labeling? Sorry I am having a bad day....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In the county I work in as a preschool special educator, the children in Birth to Three and Preschool do not need a specific diagnosis to receive services. They do have to have delays in 2 or more areas of development( speech and OT would be two). In Preschool their label is Developmental Delay. This label is really general. As they turn 5 and are exiting preschool to go on to Kindergarten, they are evaluated again and must have a more specific label(ex. autism, mental impairment, add)to receive special education services. Many children who did qualify for special education services in preschool do not need special services when they go on to elementary school. Check to see if you have to get a label put him in services. I agree that some that labels get you more help, but also if you can just go with a general one at first try that.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You shouldnt think about it as labeling. It might help if you try to practice people first langauge.

A child with ASD in stead of an autistic child.
    A child with ADHD instead of the ADHD child.
    A child in a wheelchair instead of the handicaped child.
    ect ect.

And keep in mind that the correct diagnosis can and often will get you better thearapy and services for your child.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The sad part about the
    "Label"
    is if your child is really behind...the schools and the doctors have to
    "Label" them in order for your child to recieve the help he or she may need...

Atleast where I come from..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My youngest son was delayed, my youngest grandson (we are raising) is also delayed. Nothing in your post led me to believe he has been labeled as anything. It is clear he is having some issues with speech, fine and or gross motor. Lots of kids have those early on. They do therapy and they catch up. My youngest son was in special education for 7 years due to a birth injury. I am fortunate that he had no spinal cord or brain stem damage. Although he still deals with some learning disabilities, he also know the things he has been taught to overcome them and is now an active, productive member of his community as a firefighter/EMT and a husband.
    My grandsons delays are from neglect his first yr of life. We have no doubt he will overcome these without residual issues. I am just grateful they were found when young..it is MUCH easier to "catch up' the younger you are. The older they are when found, the harder it is to overcome them
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I am just really scared to take him to a behavioral Ped, someone told me that they will label any child who goes in there...my son is still young, I am a little freaked out thats all...I have no idea if this is true or not, but the person who told me works for the state.
    Anonymous

• My dd went to a behavior doctor...I was in denial at the time...

You doctor is not going to label them just to label them and if you feel that
    the doctor does just that...go seek another doctor...

If I did not take my DD to the doctors she would not be getting the help that she is getting right
    now through the state.

Wouldn't you rather know than not know..

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You need to do what's right for your child. My son is also speech delayed and has had some cognitive issues due to being a preemie and other issues surrounding his birth. He has been in EI since he was 18 months (he now's just past 2) and has made wonderful progress. If he needs more help, he'll get it. Labels can be both useful and problematic depending on how they're used. It's up to you as a parent to help ensure they're used to get him the help he needs not to hold him back. I have a nephew who's autistic and I wholeheartedly agree with OutstandingLove, the problem isn't the label, it's how it's applied. It took a long time for doctors to decided that my nehpew was autistic which then delayed his getting the therapy that was appropriate for him.
    Anonymous