How do you choose a Doctor for you and your family?

Friends referral?
asking around?
nice office? etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I moved to a new area about 10 months ago. When I tried to find a new doctor, I was told that they wouldn't accept new patients. So, I started asking around, checking online, looking at doctor's profiles, if they have one. I didn't find a good doctor until this past April. When you call for appts. ask them if they accept your ins. and if they accept new patients. I think there are websites where people go to rate doctors. Google that and see what you find. Be sure that you get a doctor that spends time listening to you instead of him being in and out of the room in 8 seconds flat. And, I agree with the other poster. I have to be able to pronounce his name.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 4:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I ask around
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'd trust family and friend referrals. Luckily, my dd was able to get the same pediatrician I and all three of my sister used or still go to. I love her.

Asking around works too. Just make sure you get enough opinions to where you can make a good decision.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Good doctors know other good doctors.

If you can find one that you really like, they can give you great referrals to others of different specialties.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• what the other ladies said...of course, with private insurance, I am relegated to selecting from the list of providers depending on their specialty. First I prefer GROUP PRACTICES--more scheduling availability, more minds to pick for consults and 2nd opinions. Then I select those affiliated with my choice of hospital, and preferably have an office located in nearby hospital physician suites (the better ones usually do). Then, they HAVE to speak ENGLISH, and I HAVE to be able to pronounce their name easily! If they are condescending or too busy to answer my questions I keep looking!
    Anonymous

• I just went with the closest practice for me. I've never actually met my supposed dr because I always see the NP but my hubby has and says he's very nice. For my son I asked around and picked the best practice. Narrowed it down to two possible drs within the practice and met with them.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I actually picked one out of the phone book. Got his name mixed up with another one, I thought I was going to,and ended up going to the one we stayed with. We love him! Love his staff, he is a great doctor, if you can stand his political views being aired during your appt. Doesn't bother me in the least, he's still the best doctor in town,far as we are concerned. I just tune him out,until he starts talking about what's wrong with me.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i go where my insurance lets me
    Anonymous