How young can you start a baby on swimming lessons?

My son will be 6 months tomorrow and I was just curious as to how young you can put a baby in swimming lessons?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD is in them but she is almost two. Im not sure I will ask them tonight.
    Anonymous

• I was wondering the same thing. My dd is 8 months and we have a pool. I dont know if i'd want her swimming yet, but maybe next summer if they can start that early.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I was an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor & Trainer for 20 years, a Lifeguard and Instructor Trainer for 22 years and Aquatic Facility Director for over 15 years.

I taught and supervised Parent/Infant "Waterbabies" classes from the age of 6 months. The focus of the program is for babies to become acclimated to the water, and for parents to learn a variety of support techniques that provide stability and security for your child, while encouraging good body position in the water and freedom of movement. We sang lots of songs with swimming movements and adapted to a water theme...such as "Wheels on the Bus" became "Fishes in the Pool"

If the parent and the child were both comfortable in the water, I taught them how to go underwater and hold their breath or blow bubbles. Naturally I taught my children from the age of 6 months, by 3 1/2 they were swimming independently--without any flotation devices! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• they can start at 6 months. my son is 7 months and we just finished swim classes at the ymca. he loved them. they have a class for 6 months - 36 months. they dont actually learn to swim but they get used to being in water and learn to kick and hold there breath under water. my son loved it, he would sit on the edge and jump in my arms. it was a lot of fun and i would recommend it.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 3:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I read in many places that swimming lessons at an early age can give a false sense of security and doesn't save their lives in an extreme situation. I don't know how real this can be...just make some research.
    Anonymous

• My son has been in the pool a few times/month starting at around 6 months old... and started "lessons" (daddy is teaching him, he used to be a swim instructor) at 10 months. At 11 months now he is doing things like bobs, kicks, blowing bubbles and learning to float on his back
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• All 3 of my boy start swiming as soon as they are about 6 months old!!! My oldest son has been swiming since he was 4 months old and is now 5 1/2 and is on of the youngest kids to ever be on the dive team!!! I never wanted my boys to have a fear of the water...o i start them as soon as I can!!!
    NIKKIJO4

Answer by NIKKIJO4 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2009