Are you for or against the varicella vaccine?

I'm a vaccinating mom, but the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine has always left me wondering.

So whether you're a vax OR non-vax mom, what's your opinion on it?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had my son vaxxed against chicken pox. Why not? Even if he never got it as a kid, he could still get shingles later on, and that would SUCK! I've had chicken pox and so has my mom, but my dad and brothers haven't had it, so if one of them were to get it (my brothers are 12 & 16) they'd probably all get it, and it would be a worse case now than it would have been if they'd all gotten it as little kids.
    It's not just about chicken pox, it's also about shingles, so why not? We should be able to eradicate it from the face of our country at least.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm not opposed to any vaccines.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm not necessarily opposed to it, really. And I forgot that you could get the shingles later on. I had chicken pox when I was about four, and I don't remember it. I guess I'm wary because everyone I know has chicken pox and has been fine. I know some people die from it, though.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I vaxed all my kids and my grandkids. I am significantly older than most Moms here so my perspective is different. I remember the polio scares at school. I had a friend die in 2nd grade from measles. All my brothers and sisters and I had chick pox, mumps and the red measles. My brother also had the german measles and lost hearing in one ear. My sister had an imbedded tonsil post mumps and was sick for a long time before it finallyresolved. My Mother told me I had whooping cough (pertussis) so bad as a child they put me inan oxygen tent and told her I would die. These diseases are very real to me. My family was quite poor and vaccination programs were not well known in rural areas. In my entire life I have never met one single person who has themselves or had a child with a reaction to a vaccine..not saying they don't happen, but they are rare. The risk is too high NOT to vaccinate.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Sorry this is so long. When my kids were small the varicella vax wasn't even out. My oldest had them..no big whoop. My youngest had them and was hospitalized for 4 days. His throat sweeled shut, he had to be catheterized and his eyes swelled shut. It was bad. My niece had chicken pox 2 yrs ago..I think she had 9 pox. It was a walk in the park for her. If thats what happens routinely..yeah I'd give it, and have to grandkids.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I have had all 3 kids vax'ed for chicken pox. My 2 boys got them anyway, but it was far easier and less of a case than if they hadn't been vaxed. A bunch of boys in DS1's class all got it the same day in kinder. All were better within 4 days, except one who was out for 2 weeks. If we were to have another child I would still vax because it will lessen the severity. And, btw, you get shingles from the chicken pox virus, which is in the vaccine. Unless you get the shingles vax when you are older, you can still get it. The varicella vax doens't protect against it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I am opposed because the child has to get the shot every 10 yrs unless they get a case of the chicken pox. I can't imagine in adulthood the kid just deciding they don't want to get it anymore, or don't have time (like many do with tetnus shots), and ending up with a life threatening case. I would rather my kids develop natural immunity. I found this out because my 11 yrs old did get the pox vax, and now he must keep it up. He is due for his next dose at age 20. I can only hope he keeps up on it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No, I would rather face the rare possiblilty of the KNOWN side effects of chicken pox, the face the possible UKNOWN risks of the vaccine.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The primary impetus behind the chicken pox vaccine was the desire to keep parents from having to take off work to care for their child. It was a big motivator for the measles vaccine as well.

Shingles, once considered a disease of the elderly, has greatly increased with the childhood vaccine. Shingles is the reemergence of the virus that hides in the nerves and reappears due to a depressed immune system.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Opposed
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009