What do I tell her it is?

My 3 yr old has seen me use a tampon and now she pulls it out of the box and acts like she's gonna use it to. I told her it was for mommy when she is sick and she said she was sick and needed it to. What do you tell your LO?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The truth.....she is not going to understand it...but
    I can not see telling her you use it because you are sick..

My DD is 5 and she was in the bathroom yesterday with me and she asked
    me why the tp was red with blood...

I told her mommy has her period, something that you will have when you are a teenager..

Why make up a story....just be honest...
    One day you little one will be a woman....and will remember your words..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i wouldn't do it in front of her again but if she acts like shes doing it again i would just tell her that grown ups use it and its not for kids put it out of her reach if it bothers u
    Anonymous

• I agree, just be honest. Tell her it is something she will use when she is older, that all girls use them when they become woman. I wouldn't want her getting the impression that there is something wrong with having a period...unplesent..yes, but not that a woman is sick when havign one.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When I was a child, I ask the same question to my mom. She told me that she use it to remove her lipstick...I never ask again. When I became a grown up girl and find out the true...it was so funny!! I am not giving you advice....I just telling my experience. Good Luck
    Sofab

Answer by Sofab at 3:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My son asked me when he walked in on me when he was about 4. I simply told him the truth in simple terms he could understand: that Mommy was bleeding, but I wasn't hurt and that the "thing" (and I did just say "thing" so he wouldn't run around saying "tampon, tampon!" lol) helped it stop. I kept it somewhat vague since he is a boy, and he'll never get a period, but I think you could use something similar with her.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I just told my daughter it was a Tampon something that mommies and big girls use. She just said ok.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 6:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• same here I told my son it was something that gown up ladies use sometimes in the bathroom. He never asked anything else about it. Most young kids are perfectly content with vague answers as long as it was an answer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i told my 4 yr old dd that it was a plug that mommy used when her bug wsa bleeding so now when she sees me on the rag she gives me a tampon and says here mommy make ur bug all better
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When my son walked in on me he to decided he wanted to use one like mommy. I told him only girls can use tampons and he said "when i'm a girl then i can use one just like mommy." Then proceeded to tell every person we met, stranger or friend, for the next 2 days, that he was going to grow up to be a big girl and use tampons like mommy... oi,kids... I think the simple truth will do plenty, use vocab fit for a child, and if it bothers you that much do what someone else suggested and place the tampons where your daughter can't get them.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm sorry you did that in front of her. Please don't make it a habit. Honesty is fine but for those who have the maturity to understand. Why would she think it's associated with being sick? Just put them away and let's hope for out of sight out of mind for now. Too much too soon for little children will get the wrong result. I'm afraid to think she might harm herself putting inappropriate things in side her self. Just tell her it's something for grown ups if she asks again but kids her age might be distracted by other things if you change the subject. She's just not ready for that talk. I'm certainly not bashing but please try to steer things clear of that and lock the bathroom door next time. She can really hurt herself or allow some bad person to harm her over that simple act. What if she's sick when with someone else and she says you use those on her when she's sick and someone calls cps? Please be careful what kids see

Answer by admckenzie at 10:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2009