• In the Spotlight:

baby cereal

when do you start giving your baby cereal/rice?

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did it when baby was 2mths in his night time bottle but docs say not to btw hes 3 and perfectly fine
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 4:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• around six months
    TRyan

Answer by TRyan at 4:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• 4 months. thats the general rule, but it varies baby to baby. There no nutritional value. Its mainly to help train their tongues to eat baby food. I know some get it earlier if they cant keep formula down or if the milk doesnt keep the full, but thats with suggestion by a doctor.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My parents gave it to my sister at six weeks and she has crohn's. Talk to your doctor.
    Anonymous

• No cereal at all. Banana at six months.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When your child starts showing signs that they are ready for food. They're pretty noticeable, at least with my LO. We started at 4 months.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We started when my son was around 2 months old. He has a huge appetite and was consuming way too much formula. So I thickened it so he would last longer between feedings. It worked great for us. I did put it in his bottle, which is not recommended, but I made sure to use the nipples that worked best with thicker formulas. Once he was around 4 months old, I starting giving it to him with a spoon.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• 4 months, and ask your babies doc-every child is diff and letting random(yet helpful meaning) strnagers here decide for you inst the best way to choose. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2009