Christians, do you assume that atheists do not want to believe in god.

I am an atheist and when hearing Christians discuss atheism I always get the feeling that they think that atheists simply don't want to believe in god and choose not to believe. It's like they cannot understand how someone can honestly not believe in god. I could no more make myself believe in god than I can Santa Clause, and believe me, it's not because I wouldn't like to believe. Just wondering Christians, do you believe that atheists secretly think there is a god and choose not to accept him, or do you think it's possible for someone to simply not believe based on pure logic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that atheists simply just dont know. ive known atheists that would still refer to God in different ways and different times so i guess i think that people know of God but choose not to accecpt him do to personal feelings and decisions.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 4:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We must refer to deities (especially the Christian one) because they are so much a part of our culture. I say "OH MY GOD!" even though I don't believe in one.

And sure, I'd believe in a deity if one existed. But all of my research points to no. There are just too many similarities between the world's religions, sorry.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• yep that is what I think
    Anonymous

• I think that some wear their shades so dark that they cannot even look.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Is that why Christians do not believe in Ra - because their shades are so dark they cannot even look or they just don't know?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

•  I was once a very angry atheist with a desire to believe in something bigger than myself. I was even a little jealous of those who could believe.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Nope. I don't assume any persons reasons for believing what they do, Christian, Pagan, atheist or otherwise. I don't know you or your life, so how could I possibly assume your reasons behind anything you do???
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Since we don't know another person's thoughts, how could we assume to know why someone does or doesn't believe in something? It's the same as when a Christian is criticized for believing. People just can't understand how we CAN. Yet, they don't want to be questioned at all about why they CAN'T believe.
    Anonymous

• There are two different things: Agnosticism believe in something, like Heartfrommyson said. Atheist people don't believe. I am atheist too and I feel so much simple, real and probable believe in Darwin than in God.
    Anonymous

• I assume NOTHING about another person, regardless of religion/theological ideas. I can only understand what they explain to me about their feelings. I can not see into their hearts or feel what they feel. The only person I can truly speak for with any accuracy (most of the time) is me.
    Anonymous