Need A Little Help Picking Out A Dog.

My fiance' and I have discussed getting a dog. The thing is, we really don't know what type of breed we should look for. We live in a 1,400 sq ft home with a medium sized yard (about 1 acre). We live within city limits and would like a dog that would not only be able to protect the house but also tender enough for the children to play with.

What are your reccomendations?

(Also, I don't want to hear any bashing of breeds here. If you have a judgement against a certain breed, don't put it here because I really don't give a shit. We're looking for a dog for our family, not a predisposed opinion of certain breeds and their "viciousness" so if you have something negative to say about a breed, don't bring it here because it will not be helpful)

Mina2904

Asked by Mina2904 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pets

• We have a French Mastiff, and he is great! We have 4 kids and I do in home child care and he lets the kids roll all over him and he's so gentle with them. An if the kids and I are outside he will not let a stranger come in our yard. We live in a 1200 square foot home and we have plenty of room for our family and the dog. His breed does not get as big as english or bull mastiff. I recommend this breed to anyone looking at getting a dog that has kids. If you want more info on breed messege me and I will give it to you!
    brebear

Answer by brebear at 4:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I know labs are very friendly and loving. Surprisingly i watched a show and said that Rottweilers are very child-friendly. I'd suggest looking at different breeds and researching them.

My DH wants an english bulldog, but i read the need alot of care vet wise. Dogs are wonderful pets! And while my family adopts dogs, puppies are great to get because they can be introduced to the children from the beginning. And adult adopted dog has be taken with extra precaution to see how they'll react.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I just googled a French Mastiff and they are pretty cute! They look like they have little pouty faces!
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Here's another question I just thought of... How do you potty train a dog?

*Can you tell I've never owned my own dog before? We had one when I was growing up but she was already house broken when I remember last*
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• American Bulldogs are great for what you're talking about which is why I'm about to get one w/ my baby on the way.

But no mattter what, with ANY breed - if you're getting from a breeder ask to see and spend a little time with the parents. If they aren't friendly at all they will pass that down to the pups. If you're adopting from a shelter spend time with the dog, see if they have a foster program available, where you can foster the dog and if you think it's a good fit for your family then go ahead an adopt, if not another family can adopt it. I knew a rescue that would let you "try out" a dog for a few weeks to make sure it was a good match so it wouldn't eventually end up at a pound again if things didn't work out.
    I grew up with a Dalmation who was one of the best dogs I've ever owned b/c of her breeding, but I've also met not nice ones. There are good and bad dogs that come from EVERY breed!
    SouthernRoses

Answer by SouthernRoses at 4:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Thank you, Southern! I'm actually writing down all of the reccomendations and reading up on each breed so we have a good idea of what to look for. A breed my sister mentioned was a Border Collie. She said that they are very gentle and loyal (in her experience) so I've added them to the list.

So far, here's my list:

French Mastiff
    Lab
    Border Collie
    American Bulldog & English Bulldog
    Golden Retriever

Any other reccomendations are HUGELY welcome!!! :D
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The three very best dogs (for protection and companionship) were a border collie, a doberman, and a dauschund. You might think that the little doxie is not good for protection, but I assure you that you will know if so much as a squirrel invades your area. Not only that, they have a deep bark and if they are inside, someone on the outside of the home will have no idea how small the dog actually is. The best one of the three with our children was the border collie.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 5:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I mean to say the three best that I have personally owned, not the three best of all breeds.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 5:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We have a 2 y/o black lab and she is wonderful with our 1 y/o son. I grew up with labs and wouldn't have any other breed. We've never had any issue with her biting, but she does give him lots of kisses :) He tugs at her collar, grabs her ears, climbs on her, it doesn't matter to her.

The only thing is that labs can be very energenic, and are huge chewers. Obviously this doesn't last forever, but it can be a bit annoying when they are teething.

Either way though, I love our lab and they are known to be a great family dog. They are also the #1 purchased breed in the US, according to the AKC. I definitely recommend getting a black or yellow lab, the chocolate ones can have major weight & health problems.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We just got an Aussie (Australian Shepherd) and we LOVE him. I have a 3 year old and a 13 month old and he's perfect with them. I would suggest these sites:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
    http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/
    http://www.justdogbreeds.com/
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 5:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009