HelP! How should I introduce my 2 year old dog to my newborn baby?

I am expecting a little baby boy in 3 weeks and am starting to be concerned about how I should introduce my newborn to my 2 year old dog/kind-of-puppy. My dog is large, close to 100 lbs. She has a jealous personality even w/ my cat, but a real sweetheart, though can be energetic at times since she is transitioning from puppyhood to doghood. Anyone has any advice on how to introduce them and how to have them cohabitate without any issues. It would be sooo greatly appreciated.

monika11

Asked by monika11 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get a baby doll that is about the same size as a newborn. Tell the dog "see the baby" "easy with baby" "give baby kisses"...choice phrases that he will know when the baby comes, he has to be easy and nice.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If you have a tape player, make a copy of the "baby crying" sound from this website...
    http://www.beprepared.net/tools.html
    Put the player in the crib and occasionally play the sound in the day - LOUD. That will help the dog get used to the sound of a baby.
    Once the baby arrives, have someone bring home a blanket he's been wrapped in at least a day ahead of the bay. Let the dog smell the blanket - that will get the dog learn the baby's smell.
    Make time for walks and play with the dog.

And never, ever leave them alone in the same room. Not even if the baby is in his crib - you have a large dog who can easily get into the crib. Do not leave them alone - ever - until your son is big enough to defend himself against a large dog. Over half of all dog bites are from a friendly, happy, loving, family pet who never bit anyone before. Don't give your dog the chance, not matter how friendly and loving she seems.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When I had my son, my husband would bring home a baby blanket that he was wrapped in every night that we were in the hospital, and would lay them all over the house til we got home. Our dog did ok.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• what we did is when I had DD, my DH brouhgt home the blankets she was swaddled in when she was born and put them in their beds....they got used to the smell...we didn't do any of that baby doll stuff, they would just eat it. I have 2 85-lb. american pit bull terriers and they are rambunctious...but they do fine, they actually get tired of her...just put a baby gate up to separate them if you need some peace and quiet. They have been a lifesaver for me b/c they are indoor dogs and sometimes I just want my daughter to have some playtime alone...he'll be fine and congrats!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• all the ideas are awesome, so do those but also a word of caution. NEVER leave the baby and dog alone, and never force the baby onto the dog, ex: "look at the babiy" while putting the baby into your dogs face. Actually the best way after all described above is to not make a big deal of introducing them. You come home and hand off baby to hubby and greet your dog, then take baby and go about your business. Do not allow dog into babies room either, only with permission. Dog needs to learn there is love to go around BUT the baby is higher ranking than she is. and finally, if you see any signs of aggression(urinating on baby things, growling at anyone not just baby, snappiness at anyone or anything, ), or if something just feels off(trust your gut)...consider rehoming your dog.You dont want to wait until a bite happens to take action. good luck, you'll be fine.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009