Moms who work???

I jsut recently started working full time its been two months now. On the most part I feel like I am juggling everything okay, partially because my husband has not found a job yet. I think he is giving up finding something compariable to what he made before, and is just looking for anything... but no one seems to be hiring..... but any way... some things are falling behind... house work mostly. I work 2:30pm to 11pm. I feel like I go go go all day long.. yet I haven't had time to figure in exercise or any time to myself.

Does anyone have advice on how to simplify life, or any things that you do that help save time? Any tips on being a mom with a full time job? any shortcuts to housework, or life that could help?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 4:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• i dont work but my siter in law is a single mom for now who works full time. Here hours are different than yours but she exercises daily right after dinner and she puts her 2 kids to bed then picks up her house everynight after going to bed hope that helps you
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 4:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• if your husband isn't working right now, why can't he do the housework? That'll give you time for yourself.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 4:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• **smile** I work two jobs, seven days a week.

Well, first thing? I relaxed standards. Who needs a spotless house? Not me. Flylady.com. 15 minutes a day and the house is fine as far as I'm concerned. We'll nver be in House Beautiful but I don't want that anyway. We're good enough to have my MIL over.

I don't exercise, really, never did. And time to myself has always been after my husband and son are in bed anyway so nothing changed there.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• As a single full-time working mom, I learned early on to prioritize and cleaning is at the bottom. My son picks up his own stuff, so we don't have messes lying around. My schedule, though, is standard office schedules, so it helps that I have two ways of managing it - morning is MY schedule (up and go go go) and evening is my son's schedule (dawdling, playing, relaxing). Weekends are when most housework type chores get done, but even then, not every weekend because for me, it's not as important. Also, big cooking is done primarily on weekends to supply my lunches and some dinners - weeknight meals are quick and easy things like quesadillas, etc. But if your husband is home and still looking for a job, does he help around the house and with cooking? If you, then you might want to work out a schedule with him.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• schedule. Set times for certain things. Try to multi task. I do the dishes while my daughter is eating. I put her in the high chair and let her watch. Make cleaning a game so your kids will help (if old enough) or at least enjoy so you can have some bonding time with kids at the same time. My daughter loves to push the button on the dryer to turn the light on and off while I'm moving the laundry and she'll "help" put a sock or two in for me, too. Remember, clean enough is probably OK. You don't have to clean every day, but do be sure to keep the key areas sanatiry such as bathroom and kitchen. bedroom's are OK if they are messy for a bit. Also, try to encourage daddy, grandma, a good friend, etc. to have some quality time with your kids so you can get a break. Then you can clean faster and get some alone time and maybe some down time too.
    Anonymous

• tell your husband to get off his lazy fat ass and do it while you're at work. Tell him you want the house spotless when you get home, you have a right to have a clean house when you're working and your partner is not.
    Anonymous

• Wow anon 6:01.... assume much? My husband has just lost his job and has been converted to a stay at home dad. He is not used to managing the needs of 4 small children and a house. It took me time to learn to multi task and juggle all those requirements, I don't expect him to become supper stay at home dad. I would rather come home and hear about the kids talk about what they did at the park with daddy or the trip to the library then them talk about how daddy made sure the house was clean. He keeps up on laundry and keeps the kids well taken care of, cooks meals, makes sure the house stays picked up. i don't expect him to make sure the deep cleaning is getting done, I don't expect dishes to be done when I get home. He never demanded that the house be spotless when he worked and I stayed at home. I could never expect that of him. I don't have to much I have to manage now, but when he goes back to work.....
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:42 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• figure out how to juggle it all.... He is not lazy, 4 young kids require alot of attention and energy. I have been in his shoes, he is not lazy. He is doing the best he can in an enviorment that he is unfamilar with.

Thanks everyone for their advice, I will sit down with my husband and see if we can brainstorm with the ideas given!!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2009