how can I get my toddler back to sleeping in his own bed ALL NIGHT?

Recently my 2 year old has started waking up in the middle of the night and wanting to get in the bed with me and my husband. To keep from waking the baby down the hall (and because we thought it owuldnt last very long) we let him. well its been about 2 weeks of this now and im getting kinda tired of the whole "family bed" situation. HELP!

jacksonsmom316

Asked by jacksonsmom316 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only way to solve the problem is to leave him in his own bed. Stay in the room with him until he goes back to sleep if needed to avoid waking the baby but don't let him out of his room. he'll get the idea. While you're in the room, be as boring as possible. Don't talk to him, argue with him, etc. Just sit there. We took the approach that if he got out of his bed, we left the room. We'd give him a few minutes then go back in. You'll have to adjust the approach a bit as we didn't have to worry about waking another baby.
    Anonymous

• Walk him back to bed, every time.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• well he has a baby gate on his door because his door comes out at the top of the stairs so he shakes the gate until we come in. i'll definately try to sit in the room with him and be boring. another thing is that we've made the mistake lately of letting him fall asleep and then we carry him to his toddler bed. we've thought about putting a tv in his room to help him go to sleep but we werent sure if that was such a good idea. any suggestions?
    jacksonsmom316

Answer by jacksonsmom316 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Be consistent. Get up and take him back to his bed. As many times as it takes, but BE CONSISTENT.

It took about 45 minutes with my son, but after that first night he realized we were serious and quit fighting.

Baby will probably wake up... that's where your SO comes in... one tackles the screaming baby, one tackles the sleep two year old. It won't last for long, don't worry!
    AJsMomma

Answer by AJsMomma at 9:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2009