Coach Abuse!

In the past my daughters coach screamed badly in her face my mom said.I didn't know about this until yesterday.Well she has that same coach this year,but it's his assistant that's being mean to her.The other day he hit her in the face with his raquet and today he came towards her and tripped her on the hard concrete.I wasn't there today but I did see her holding her face the other day.How can I tell these people off without making a huge scene?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We payed $100 for a week of tennis lessons and it's through our parks and recreation department.I think the coach doesn't have patience for her,she tends to be a little slow and shy, when she has to perform for someone or he's just a complete jerk! I'm assuming his assistant could be his teenage children helping out and they have learned to abuse from him or they have worked with him long enough, that they think it's o.k. to abuse because he does it.--I'm thinking I'd like to run towards the guy who tripped my daughter and knock him down,I'm 6'2 and weigh close to 300 pnds,I'd like to try it.
    Anonymous

• Call the school. A coach should not be treating kids like that. If possible, bring a video camera or who ever is there and try to tape the whole practice/game to have proof.

Def call the school and complain though. I'd be a making a scene if it were me though (too much of my mother in me :))
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• go ahead and make a scene, yell at him in front of everyone and then go an contact whoever isn in charge of hiring coaches.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 4:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It doesn't matter who hired this guy, it is not acceptable for him to be hurling abuse at any child. Get in his face about it, don't let him get away with it and report him to the parks and rec dept. If they don't hear about the abuse nothing will get done. I reported a football coach who wasn't even my sons coach. He was the oppositions coach, but there is no way someone coaching 9 and 10 year olds should be calling them twits (and you could tell he was holding back from using a worse word) or telling them that a call was "bullshit". But if no one says anything nothing will get done about it. If you see it happen again call him on it, and record the abuse and report it. If parks and rec won't do anything go higher, whether that's the mayor or the police is your call, but he should not be getting away with physically and verbally absusing anyone, much less a child.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The problem is I want to take her out of the class but my husband won't let me,since he paid for it.If she stays in it she could be abused more,even though I will be there tomorrow and Friday,I wish just my presence could talk to him that I mean business.I don't have the guts to talk to the assistant or the coach because I feel they are abusing her because thye don't like her,she's too slow for them and they don't have the patience for it.We need them more than they need us.I haven't thought about what I will say because I know I have to do it, else the abuse will keep going on.
    Anonymous

• Report it to the Parks and Recs sports department head and demand a refund! Then take that refund and look for another class with better teachers. Some tennis communities offer lessons even to those who are not in the community as does the YMCA.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• yes report it the to parks and rec departments and tell them that you want a full refund of the money that you paid them and if they give you any problems just smile and say well it would be a shame if the newspapers and t.v. heard about the type of services that you are running in our town. Most of the time that will work just fine yes it is a dirty trick but some times when you play with the big dogs you got to get dirty your self. And what ever you do don't show fear to that coach he is just a bully, show your daughter how to stand up for her self, After all your the mom if you don't stand up for her then no one else will, and then latter on in life when she needs to do it for her self she will not know how to. Show her that you can be a lady and that as a lady you are stronge and that you will not let any one walk over you or your children.
    betsyjmg

Answer by betsyjmg at 5:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2009