how do i cheer her up?

So my 11yo dd tried out for mid school cheer squad today. She didn't make it through the 1st cut, but was asked to come back for the 2nd. She's not so much upset that she didn't make it, but that another girl did when she didn't even participate in the clinics & tryouts. Idk what to tell her. It hurts to see her cry! :(

bridgeh2o

Asked by bridgeh2o at 4:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh sweetie...been there, done that. My daughter tried out for 7th grade cheer for the basketball team and though she had no real experience, she did work hard that week. She was about 11 too. One of her friends made it and she didnt and she was so bummed. I remember having a hard time knowing what to say because in reality she didnt want my comfort. She just wanted to be alone and work it out on her own. So I let her. I think she was embarrased to show me how disappointed she really was and I was bummed for her too. Within a few days, she began to return to her old self and the next year I asked her about trying out and it was an emphatic...NO! She didnt even want to go there....LOL. I was a bit disappointed that she wasnt interested in sticking with it, but I quickly accepted the fact that she was more of an academic person. She did play volleyball and run track though. It just wasnt for her. Hang in there.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Thank u! She's such a good kid. & she did really well. Further more, she hasn't been cut all together. They have another cut before she knows for sure, but seeing that one name up there who DID NOT deserve it, that's the kicker! I tried to explain how political this stuff can be. But, she doesn't quite understand all that just yet. The girl who made it was the sister of an older cheerleader who helped the coach @ clinics. That being said, I so wanna complain to someone about the situation but don't want to start drama. There will be enough of that in the coming yrs! Lol
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 4:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2009