why is he chewing on everything??

my son is 2. he has been to the dentist and we were told he has all of his teeth but he is still chewing on everything like he is teething. i dont understand. why is he still chewing? what can i do to make him stop?

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My children continued to chew after they got their teeth in I think to get the feel of their teeth. I think having them in their mouth is a strange sensation and the chewing sort of helps relieve that feeling and I think it helps the teeth "take root" in their gums a bit more strongly. At least, those are my thoughts. It's the same with puppies, not that children are puppies, of course! But puppies are trying to get used to the feel of their teeth.
    If your child chews food well, give her a carrot to chew on. If her teeth bother her, give her a frozen washcloth.
    My DH's family loves to tell the tale of how his older cousin chewed on a tree stump in their grandmother's yard. I thought, "yuck!," but they were so proud!
    I wouldn't suggest it for your child, though.....LOL.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• A teething ring? Something other than furniture and toys to chew on. Probably I'd let him chew until he gets it out of his system. :)

Answer by Bmat at 4:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• he has a chewing ball thing that was given to him when he was a baby but even with that he is still chewing on everything non-stop. is this a normal phase that kids go through?
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My daughter is 3 and has started to chew on things - blankets, shirts, hair ties. She's only started this since her dad has been deployed. I think it may be anxiety related...maybe thats the case with your son.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2009