how do I help my four month old sleep?

My son is four months and sleeps poorly. He can't put himself to sleep, I have to rock him. He wakes up at least 3 to 4 times a night. How can I help him?

qwertykat

Asked by qwertykat at 4:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• tylonal
    Anonymous

• I think that's pretty normal behavior. My DD is also 4 mos. and she just barely started being able to put herself to sleep but still wakes up a lot at night. Last night, she woke up only an hour after her feeding and I knew she wasn't hungry, so my husband and I took turns patting her back to sleep. She went back to sleep and slept for 4.5 more hours and went a total of 6 hrs. without eating, her longest ever at night. That is not normal for her, normally she's up every 3-3.5 hrs. like clockwork. I'm going to try this technique more to hopefully get her through the night. If you want him to learn to put himself to sleep there's gonna be a lot of crying but he'll learn. We did the method where you put them down, close the door and check every 10 mins. It's worked for us.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No tylenol. Keep doing what you're doing. He's normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• gradually stop the rocking and instead replace it with a bedtime routine, for ex. bath bottle story(they may not read or focus but your voice is important) then lay him down. Do NOT let him cry it out but if he lays there crying pop your head in every 5-10 mins and say"shhh its ok, go nite nite," then gradually begine not popping in but saying it where he can still hear you.You may have to stand near the crib for a few nites to let him cry but see you are there. I rocked my first to sleep and you poor thing, it caused alot of isses. Hang in there and keep trying.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009