Muslem Ladies...Questions about the "Hajib"

...or is it "Hijab"...The Head Scarf!

Is there a special ceremony when a girl gets her first one?
Are there any rules as to colors or patterns that are allowed?
Do you have to use a special material, or buy them from a special source...or can you buy any ol' scarf from, like, Walmart?
Is it just to cover the hair...or the head like the yarmakah Jewish men wear?

Thank you, Ladies...and these are legitimate questions...I mean you no disrespect...just curious...

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no special ceremony, as far as I know. I started wearing mine when I took my first Shahada, this is declaring "there is no diety other than God and Mohammed is his messenger".

I was told that colors that are too wild or will attract attention is a no no. Material does not matter either and you can get any old scarf, even from Walmart...as long as...

it covers you hair, ears and neck...

We love it when people ask!! Thanks for the question!
    Anonymous

• No special ceremony that I know of.
    Colors...you can wear any color/design but just try not to haveit too wild as to draw attention to yourself.
    It should cover your hair, neck, ears and I try to cover my chest as well, I make my own and get the 60 inch wide fabric so that it's longer. If it's store bought I usually buy what is called a Shayla (Oblong) which runs between 68x22 up to 74x28
    oh and it's Hijab :) Thanks! This is a good muslim question!
    AmmuJSE

Answer by AmmuJSE at 5:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• when i was in high school oen fo my muslim friends would always wear really pretty ones. not wild or leopard print hehe. but she likes to wear pretty pastels and she said it was her way of making it feminine and her own individual style, but it wasnt too extreme
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think the first 2 got it!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Thanks Ladies!

...but wouldn't it be cool if there WAS a special ceremony?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It would be cool! Lol. Maybe we will throw DD a Hijab party when she gets older. Like a debutant coming out party or something, lol.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• That would be sweet, Isra!

When my friend's aunt was diagnosed with cancer, they threw a "Scarf Shower" for her...we all found pretty scarves for her for when she lost her hair...

You might could do something like that? Everyone bring her a Hijab?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• That's so sweet about the scarf party!
    DD is still a long away from wearing hijab though, she is only 16 months, but it's something to keep in mine for when she gets older!
    That would be a good idea for new Muslim reverts too!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Wow, that is a good idea to have a hijab party for a new Revert or when the girl decides to wear her hijab!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would just like to add that not all Muslim women wear a headscarf. Too much has been made about it.
    Anonymous