When do babies use a walker?

My daughter is 4 mos in 4 days. When can she start using a walker or exersaucer thing? She needs more toys that are interactive. Suggestions?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 4:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she sitting unassisted yet?
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If she's sitting, an exersaucer can be used NOW. No walkers, per the AAP...they're dangerous.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If so, then she can use a walker as long as you watch her. keep her in the living room with you in close reach. the exersaucer she can use now even if she's not sitting completely unassisted. my dd used her jumper at 3 months. and loved it! as for other toys.....try a play mat. they have ones now with little pillows and things to help them with tummy time.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Exersaucers are good, and I would try her out in one if she can sit on her own. A walker is proven to delay walking, and can be so dangerous.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No, she is not sitting unassisted yet. She is desperately trying, but she hasn't made it quite yet. I want a toy involving the use of her legs. SO she can use a jumper then?
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• yes. my dd LOVES LOVES LOVES hers. She has the rainforest one. DO NOT use one that hangs in the doorway. those are just scary and dangerous. Like I said, my dd has been using hers since her toes (which is all that is suppose to) touched the floor in it at 3 months. She's 7 months now and we have recently moved her up a notch, but she still loves it.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Thanks! I just decided (and bought) the rainforest jumper on Amazon. I think she will love it. She is getting very bored and antsy lately.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• my dd would only sit in it for about 20 minutes and then she would get bored...until about 5 months, then she figured out how to jump really high in it, and now she will sit and jump for hours at a time! you have made a very wise purchase!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My DD lovers her walker. Granted me have no steps or anything and I'd never use it outside. But I'd love to get her and exersaucer.

The required age is 4 months but i think if they can sit, even assisted and have good head control, she should be fine.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Walkers are ONLY dangerous if you're an idiot and use them near stairs...My DD looooves her walker...When she gets sick of crawling around I put her in it and she does laps around our kitchen island!! She has a blast...I think I put her in it at about 5-6 months....an exersaucer as long as she can hold her head up and her feet touch the bottom...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2009