My son is behind on his shots because his insurance messed up his doctor so many times. Will his new doctor be able to catch them up or will he just miss out on the shots he needed?

BreezysMama07

Asked by BreezysMama07 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You can get them for a nominal fee at your local health department. Or once his insurance is back to normal his doc will put him on a new schedule until he is caught up.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The new doctor will just do a modified schedule so the child gets all caught up. You could also go to the health department and getting the shots there for a much cheaper cost, sometimes free.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I didn't get my 4 year old her shots when she turned 4 because she got real sick (Dr's thought she had Kawasaki disease) So we did the whole check up thing but I waited on the shots until 2 months ago she was due for them in Dec. So when I finally took her to get her shots we discovered that her Car was not updated at her Last appointment and since it was going to take 3 business days to get the info from the old dr's office her new doctor gave them to her again. So my poor baby got 5 shots on one day. I felt so bad for her I tried to refuse but her doctor was quick to tell me It was necessary for her because of the illness btw was not Kawasaki disease.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think when school starts, if there are mandatory vaccines, the local medi clinics in the area usually offer them for really cheap. And I wouldn't worry about being behind on a vaccine or two.. they can be caught up.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 5:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Well there are no MANDATORY vaccines you can get exemptions from state funded schools in all states. You could get them at the health dept cheap or just wait and discuss with your doctor about a modified schedule to get caught up. I would have refused 5 shots in one day. There have never been any studies to see if that is safe or not. Doctors CANNOT force you to do anything to your child! Why was it necessary, you could have come back in a couple months later to get them split up!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• He will just have to do a catch up plan.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• That happened to me and my daughter. My insurance changed but got messed up and they wouldn't take her so I had to cancel because I didn't have any money. But I got it fixed like a week after and they just scheduled a couple appointments closer together than they normally would and got her caught up.
    oxojen178oxo

Answer by oxojen178oxo at 1:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You don't have to get those shots. ;o)
    www.thinktwice.com
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• neverending - OH SO NOT GOOD to get 5 shots in 1 day!! Were any of them combined shots (such as MMR?) That's actually 3 vaccines in one. My God. Think about it. The body is NOT designed to fight off that many diseases at once. So dangerous.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Its not a big deal The drs. will give them on a modified schedule and even if they are starting school they will give the form with an diff. exp date.
    My kids both have had delayed and modified vaccination schedules b/c I don't believe in doing them all eary and b/c of various illnesses etc. and that's what we've done when they needed the papers when they started schools.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009