A Mom and A Student - How Did You Make it Work?

I'm going to be in school soon as a new mom. I've seen a couple of my friends capable of balancing the two, and some not able to. If you were a student and a mom, or know anyone who was, what do you think you/they did that was helpful to balance both? Thanks!

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 5:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• You have to just do it. It is not always easy, but it is possible. You learn to study throughout the day whenever you can. Bring textbooks wherever you go and read when you have time. I read at my son's baseball practice and before his games start. I read in the bathroom, when my son is sleeping, stuck in traffic. Do homework as soon as possible, don't procrastinate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Managing your time wisely is going to be the biggest thing. Also, have back up plans on child care if your child is out of school, sick, etc. but you still have to be at school. I was in a program where you could not miss more than 2 days a semester, than was my biggest problem. As make a daily and weekly schedule for cleaning the house, doing homework, errands, etc. This will help you keep motivated in knowing that you have to do such and such at this time. Good Luck! BTW, what is your major?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• There are some great groups here on CM for moms in college. Like pp said, managing your time is crucial. I have a huge calendar on my wall that I use color-coded Post-It notes on to keep everything organized. It really isn't so scary once you're actually in and settled into a routine.

Planning a weekly menu always helps me during busy weeks, too. If you have a crockpot, use it! If you don't, buy one. Its a great way to have a healthy hot meal on the table when you're tired and don't feel like cooking at the end of a long day.

Congrats on the decision to go back :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We had a routine that worked great. My daughter was younger so she went to bed around 7:30 or 8 and then I was able to get my homework and studying done. It is a lot easier when you have someone that can help out when you have a big final or paper due. I was in nursing school and my hubby helped out a lot
    Anonymous

• I went straight from high school into college like planned. My first semester I was super pregnant, then my son was born January of my second semester. I've never taken time off from school, and was a single parent who also worked part time. Accept help when people offer, you're not super women and no one will expect you to be. Find a routine that works for you and your child and stick to it as much as possible. Understand there will be sleepless nights, and make coffee your friend on those occasions. Always remember there are others going through the same thing so you're not alone. Professors are your friend, don't use it as an excuse but 99% of them do understand when your child has the flu and is up vomiting all night if you form that relationship with them, and they know you're typically responsible and on time. I will be graduating in May with my bachelors, and had a 4.0 last semester. Just take it one day at a time :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• 1) Manage your time wisely. I created a schedule of when things had to get done and I stuck to it.
    2) Use naps and bedtime to your advantage! I did 90% of my work during naps and bedtime.
    3) Do papers/projects as soon as you possibly can. Sure, the due date for that paper is 3 weeks away, but you'd be amazed at how quickly those weeks fly by!
    4) Schedule classes wisely!!!!!! Don't schedule all your hard classes at once! My rule of thumb was 1 hard, 2 medium to light classes.
    5) Make sure that you know exactly what classes you need to take and what classes count for which requirements...I ended up having to take an extra class even after I had walked because I got screwed over by a counsler and didn't double check their advice. I got lucky that I finished a month before my second was born!
    You can do it!! I did it with one kid, working part time, and graduated while pregnant with my second! PM me if you have ?s
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When I graduated from college I had 5 small children & a full-time job. All the time management tips offered are good. However, I found my greatest obstacle to be motivation (or lack thereof) and guilt (feeling like I was being selfish for spending time studying that could have been spent w/ my kids). Here's what helped me: I shifted my thinking & instead of seeing my children as an excuse for not going to school, saw them as a reason to do it. I'm better able to provide for them w/ a career that advanced education afforded me. Think about the long term benefits when it seems too hard.
    MamaGregory

Answer by MamaGregory at 12:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009