Why are disorders more common now than before? Also need some advice.

I think my child has a disorder and I would like to take him to the doctor for an evaluation but my husband thinks that there are too many children labeled with a disorder that really don't have a disorder. As a child, my husband was diagnosed with ADD but he feels that he was wrongly diagnosed with it. I really don't know what to do. Should I go behind my husband's back and make the appointment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Get your child evaluated. The reason there are more cases diagnosised is because of better understanding and technology of disorders and symptoms. If your child has a disorder that can affect his selfesteem, grades, etc why would you not want to find out what is wrong and get him help. I got the help for my son and found out that he is ADHD when he was in 4th grade (now going into 8th grade) and his grades went up to the point that he has been on honor roll, his self esteem is much better and he is a lot happier than before because he gets in less trouble because he pays attention and is less impulsive.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Do u have a physical coming up where you can just talk to the ped. about your concerns?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• His next check up is in 4 months, but I have already called the doctor and they said I have to fill out some paperwork and make a completely separate appointment for it.

Anonymous

• What disorder do you think he has? How old is your child? Generally, I would say if you feel that something is not as it should be, talk to the dr. Mothers usually know when something isn't right. While I think there is some truth to what your hubby says, and often kids are diagnosed with something just b/c they aren't perfectly "typical", I also think that it's best to talk to a dr if you feel something's wrong. And if you feel that he/she has diagnosed your child too quickly or incorrectly, you can always seek a second, or even third, opinion. And if, indeed, there is something wrong, wouldn't you rather get it resolved than to have more complications down the road b/c dad was afraid he'd be misdiagnosed?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• There's probably a combination of many factors as to why it is more common. 1. more people in general = more diagnosis. 2. better education = better/more diagnosis. 3. higher awareness means more needless testing and possibly more false diagnosis. 4. More variables to consider with increased use of drugs (from birth control to viagra -- who knows what the true long term effect of these are and how they are impacting our enviroment since some is excreted through our waste)

That being said, if you think there might be something wrong, get it tested. But be weary of anyone who is quick to label. If the doctor doesn't send to a specialist and just says oh he has this, I mgiht be skeptical. But let your husband know what you are doing and that you just want to be safe. And that you appreciate his experience because it'll help you guys both make a better deicision about your child.
    Anonymous

• Look into sensory processing disorder before adhd, I have tons of info, just ask.
    mcqueenmom

Answer by mcqueenmom at 6:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Do you think getting him evaluated is going to help him? There are a number of explanations as to why these disorders are on the rise and or why they are being diagnosed too frequently. You have to consider the foods we eat and medications we take. If you think it will help him, definitely have him evaluated. I've decided to go against the majority and not have my son evaluated because there is no cure and I don't want him to carry "disorder label" throughout school. In my opinion, no one is perfect and "normal" is just a setting on a dryer each person is different. We all have things that we do well in and others that take effort to grasp.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• legalmommy101, I agree with what you say and I think that that is my biggest fear is that he will be labeled. On the other hand, I don't know how to help him deal with his problems, so if I do get him diagnosed then that will at least give me a place to start with on how to help him. To answer the others questions- I think that he may have ADHD and ODD. He is almost 5 and has been kicked out of 3 preschools in less than 2 months. Each preschool has said that I need to get him evaluated because there is something not right with him. At home, he is an overall good kid but he does have his problems. I am better at keeping him calmed down than my husband is. Thank you ladies for your advice and suggestions.
    Anonymous

• SPD and ADHD are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS. They don't even mimic each other! I have a kid with both of them! One cannot be mistaken for the other.
    Anonymous

• You need to get him tested. If he truly has ODD or ADHD its better to find out now and get him in behavior therapy then to find out when he's 12 and in juvi. Many children with ODD can't help being "bad", its an impulse disorder. The focus with these children is teaching them how to control their behavior, and thus the children grow up happier and in trouble less. Since you mentioned your child has already been kicked out of 3 preschools, there clearly is something not right. Its better to get him "labeled" now, then when he's in elementary. Public school has no tolerance for disruptive behavior, and if ODD goes untreated, many of the children end up suspended and in alternative schools. Helping your child understand whats going on at age 5 is going to be more beneficial to him then allowing your fear of a "label" to take over. If he is ODD it will make going through school easier on both of you. Not knowing doesn't make the
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009