please tell me....

some suggestions on how to do the cry it out method. we are trying to get her to sleep with out being swaddled........she's 7 months old. how long do we let her cry before we soothe her? how many time do we soothe her id she isnt going to sleep at all......?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i let mine cry for about 10 mins then i bounced her around for about 5 mins and i did it maybe 3 times and she was out. my other it didnt work at all she could cry for a whole hour!! but i bought this light/mustic box that projects images on the ceiling and she loved it and hasnt cried since. alot of my friends have used it to and says it did the same thing you can find it at target for 20
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 5:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Advocates of CIO say ten minutes, no more.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If she's comforted by being swaddled, continue to swaddle her. There's no age limit on it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• there may be no age limit....but blankets only get so big....lol. and i dont want her to be completely dependent on being swaddled to go to sleep.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Ginger. If her comfort is being swaddled, I would continue doing so. It isn't a terrible habit. She is still very young and may just need that extra comfort. Nothing wrong with it.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We were told no more than 10 minutes before checking on the baby. I was never able to use the CIO method. My daughter would scream for hours on end if I would let her. So, we got a lights and sounds aquarium that attaches to the crib side and taught her how to use it. We haven't had any problems since. We got ours at Walmart for about $20 I think. She will turn it on once or twice. But after that, she is asleep or at least comfortable enough to get there on her own.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• the CIO method teaches babies not to trust that someone will be there to mee their needs. So basically by doing that you raise a child who is non trusting and insecure...and yes there is research to prove it. Find another way to get your sleep. BTW, getting no sleep is an expected part of having a baby in the first place.
    Anonymous

• All a baby wants is to be comforted and know that their parent is there. When you leave a room, the baby doesn't know you are still there. Their brains are not developed enough to know that you will come back, that they aren't completely alone. I think it's a little unrealistic to expect a baby to go to sleep alone. There is a myth that children learn to self comfort...it is actually just the baby emotionally shutting down when they realize that their cries are not getting a response. Clearly, I don't really advocate letting a baby CIO. However, if this is what works for you and your child, then I agree with the other reply that you should wait no more than 10 mins. My son didn't even sleep in his own room until he was a year old. Up until that point he slept in our room, and bedtime was always a happy thing. He is almost three and has no trouble going to sleep on his own now.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 7:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• ok.................clearly some people need to read the post and then respond. I did NOT ask anyone for their OPINION on the cry it out method. I asked how long before I check on her...and how long before I try something else. anon 7:07.......you are in no place to judge my parenting. and sleep for me is not a problem. I simply wanted her to not be dependent on the swaddling to get her to sleep. just like using a bottle....breastfeeding.....using a pacifier......all things in this catagory must come to an end sometime....and I dont want it to be when she's 10.
    Anonymous