I am just curious as to what age most moms let their kids take baths alone, obviously if you still run the water to prevent burns, but allow them to play and stay in there without you being in the bathroom?

DawnVirgin

Asked by DawnVirgin at 12:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• my kids are 6 and 7 and they been doing baths on their own for a while now... so I want to say 4/5. I know when we started doing that I would leave the door open and "check in". As they got older I was leave it open just a crack, now at times it's completely shut, especially for my 7 year-old he wants his privacy. I think it's cute, he covers up if he's out of the tub, but in the tub he doesn't care... LOL. I've still wash their hair from them, but lately DS (7) has started to ask to do it on his own, so I tell him when he's done washing his hair to let call for me so I can check it. So with him I just check his hair and leave..he does everything else himself. On the other hand with DD (6) I still wash her hair and she yells for me when she's done so I can dry her.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I will reply to my own post to say that I let the boys take baths together when the oldest boy was 6 and the youngest 4. I was always in ear shot and most of the time seeing them was ok for me, same with the girls, but my oldest daughter is 4 years older than her little sister (ages now 10 and 6 but then they were 8 and 4). My hubby still thinks they are too young, well besides my oldest of course. But I ALWAYS start their water and wash their hair. But he thinks they are too young even if they are together with the other kid. I didnt start this post to start drama so no one please. I was just curious as to what the average age is
    DawnVirgin

Answer by DawnVirgin at 12:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• my dd is 18 months and i let her bathe by herself while i am listening just across the hall in her room or in the living room. if it gets too quiet i go in there and check. i only started leaving the room because she thinks it's funny to throw water at me if i stay.
    SamsMom125

Answer by SamsMom125 at 2:34 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I would love to leave a comment, but girl, it's been WAY too long for me, so I honestly can't remember! Wished I could help! My boys are 18 & 19 now, and my memory isn't that good anymore for some things......this being one of them! LOL
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 7:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i let my daughter and son start when they where both the age of 4 BUT i would leave the water EXTRA low and always stayed in ears length. i leave enough water so they can get a lil splash ggoing...but time to was up i would add a little more water, wash them myself, then bath time over!
    Mommy2life

Answer by Mommy2life at 10:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I let my son take a bath alone when he was 4 *he's 5 now), but I still leave the door open and I run the bath for him, and bathe him first then he can play till he's done.
    fireldybug

Answer by fireldybug at 10:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• my boys take showers on their own they are almost 7 and almost 9, my girls have bath/shower together and they are 3 and 19months and i tidy up stairs while they r in there
    sammy04k

Answer by sammy04k at 11:05 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Mine have taken showers since they were 3 on their own, including washing their hair. Door open. Baths was the same, but again the door is open. About 6, I started letting my daughter take showers with the door closed.
    ElJaMom

Answer by ElJaMom at 6:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Mine were about 3 (I have twins) I let them bathe together, but I always listened and had the door open and visited regularly.
    Krowla

Answer by Krowla at 7:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2008