Getting frustrated with swollen feet, any suggestions?

I give up. It is not hot outside, I'm drinking tons of water, I'm not on my feet that much, and I sleep on my left side. I'm 27 weeks and I've had really bad swollen feet all week. The doctor just tells me it is normal and there is nothing that I can really do about it. It is so gross and uncomfortable.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Keep them elevated, limit your salt intake and drink lots of fluid. Other than that, there isn't much you can do. But salt will cause swelling too.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I know your pain. W/ my first I started swelling at 13 wks. It was awful!! Then w/ my second it started around 30 wks or so. Thank goodness. Unfortunately your dr is right. There really isn't anything you can do. Drinking a lot of water didn't work for me either. Watch your sodium intake of course, and if you can, try sitting for at least a 1/2 hour 3 times a day. That seemed to help somewhat for me, but not completely! Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• By elevating I mean make sure your feet are above your heart. That will help. Not a WHOLE lot, but some.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I agree with the other posters.. the only thing my doctor had told me different was eat alot of protein.. but even then I still swelled a little bit. My ankles were so swollen it looked my legs went right into my feet.. i couldn't even wear flip flops!
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 6:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• try to eat less salt, sleep with your feet on a pillow, and most effective/importantly get a pedicure! in the last month for my my feet were swollen to kankles for liek a solid month and i went and got a pedicure and i swear i saw my ankle bones again! it was awesome.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 6:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• you should definately elevate them, and you can ice them. I had this problem with my son, and nothing made it 100% better, but the ice did take the swelling down some
    funlovinmama82

Answer by funlovinmama82 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Try taking a warm shower and relaxing your body. Atleast three times a week, lay down on either side, don't add salt to your food for a while, try using small amounts of sea salt, it is healthier. If you absolutely have to have salt. And like funlovinmama82 said use ice on them, or just soak then in cool water for 30 minutes atleast 3 times a day.
    tonya212288

Answer by tonya212288 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm sorry try taking a warm bath not a shower.
    tonya212288

Answer by tonya212288 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009