should i wake her up?

My 2 y/o daughter goes to bed at 9 wakes up like around 7am. I put her down for a nap at different times depending on what we did that day. I let her nap for about 2-3 hours. a friend of mine said that if shes still asleep i shouldn't wake her up, because it probably means she need more than shes getting. so, should i wake her up or let her sleep?

NiekaC

Asked by NiekaC at 6:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I've done both (mom of 7). All I know is my youngest is a night owl, and he doesn't even sleep much during the day. I think we all have our own built in time clocks, but I would just try both ways and see how she does. I don't see what it will hurt. The longer nap they take, the longer they will be up at night, I do know, most times.:)
    wersmith7

Answer by wersmith7 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If make sure my son is up from a nap by 530 so that way he is back in bed by 845. If he naps any later then he is awake til 11
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• when my daughter does nap i don't let her nap past 6, that way she is still in bed close to bed time (bed time is 9:30, if she sleeps past 6 she won't go to bed til midnight) my husband decided to try the waking her up earlier etc approach, and she woke more at night b/c she was over tired.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think that 12-13 hours is great for a 2 year old. I think it is actually recommend that children between 1-3 get approximately 11-14 hours a sleep within a 24 hour period. My daughter is 17 months and she sleeps about 13 hours a day also. If she is taking the nap and going to sleep without fighting and still seems alert in the morning, then I would leave it as is. She may have found herself a good routine. If she is groggy after napping or seems more upset after her nap than before, perhaps she no longer needs the nap. But if she seems like she is doing well with the arrangement, then I would leave her at it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would wake her up. I let Sophia nap for about 2 hrs. 5:30 is the absolute latest I will let her sleep, otherwise she will never go to sleep that night.
    sophiesmom07

Answer by sophiesmom07 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009