when to start baby food?

my lil guy seems to be hungry alot, like hes not gettin enuf milk, hes 3.5 mths and gettin 7-8 oz every 2-3 hrs. when can we start foods?

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 6:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• talk to his doc, at 4 months you can start a basic rice cereal and doc may say its ok to do it now. BUT ASK> Foods like fruits and veffies are not started til after 4 month mark because babies can have a serious allergic reaction before that age.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• wait till at least 4 months...at that point you can start with rice cereal
    how much is he spitting up?
    nevaehsmomma83

Answer by nevaehsmomma83 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If he's hungry then feed him more milk, not solid foods. Watch for the signs of readiness before starting solids. Baby should be showing ALL signs of readiness.
    Solids are only for dessert, breastmilk or formula should still be the MAIN source of nutrition until at least the age of 1.
    Anonymous

• Contrary to what some have already stated, doctors are finding out now that the introduction of grain cereals early in life can lead to allergies later in life--allergies to wheat, rice and oats so please, do your research before you introduce solids. If your baby is hungry you need to feed them at the breast or with a bottle.
    Anonymous

• We had the same problem with my son, we added cereal to his bottle just alittle bit to help sustain him. Our doctor said it was fine, now he gets cereal with every bottle but he still eats every 3-4hrs. with 7oz each time.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I started baby food with my oldest daughter when she was 3 months old. My youngest started way earlier than that. We took her to see the doctor because she was screaming her head off for 6 hours. It seemed like the formula was just going right through her. I kept feeding her the formula and it never seemed like enough. The doctor told me that she's hungry and we need to go ahead and start giving her rice cereal at 3 weeks old. I went and got another opinion and that doc said the same thing. We started giving her baby food at 7 weeks and she's totally healthy now. She's 7.5 months old now with no allergies, no problems whatsoever, and she's right where she's supposed to be as far as growth and development.
    Abby1108

Answer by Abby1108 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009