• In the Spotlight:

My 16 month old daughter has become so pickey with eating and her doc says to do this...what do you think?

He said that the child should be in control of how much he/she wants to eat but not WHAT he/she eats. Therefore, if I offer her a food and she rejects it (this happens every day), I should not immediately give her something else. Instead, I should quietly take her down from her chair and let her play, etc and then try again later. I have tried this but sometimes she will keep rejecting and have to skip a whole meal. He said it is fine because she is not underweight. He said that if you always give them something else at that moment, they will end up controlling mealtime and wont want to eat what the family is eating. What do you do and has your child grown to eat normally. I know it takes 10 times to introduce a new food but these are foods she used to love or I have already offered them 10 times. This question is for moms that have kids older than mine knowing you may have already gone through this.

averys1mama

Asked by averys1mama at 6:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Drake went through a period where he was just more interested in playing and learning than eating. He ate when he wanted to though, and sometimes I try 2-3 things so he can make the choice.
    MommyMeli07

Answer by MommyMeli07 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I have 4 kids 9,7,5, and 3 and they eat what I fix. I don't make anything different for anyone. The only time I make exceptions if for something like spaghetti they don't have to have sauce. IMO it isn't going to hurt her to miss a meal, and you will get her to start eating different things.
    mawfia

Answer by mawfia at 6:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Doc is dead on right.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My son is a few months past two. He has started to turn down foods he used to like, too. If that is all that is for the meal, we get him down from his chair and wrap up the dish and put it in the fridge for later when he says he's hungry. Then we re-heat it and try again. Some days, he gets the same plate three times in a row before he finally will eat what is given him.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I agree with the Doc. My son tried it at that age and he is a VERY good eater now. I am not his 'short order chef' DD is trying it now and that is exactly what we are doing except we won't offer it back! lol. she eats with us or not at all but I think offering it later is fine if it makes you feel better to give her a second chance! Good luck!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yup, doc is dead on. Four kids here, ranging from 3-12, all of them (well the three year old still refuses occasionally but for the most part) eat what is put in front of them.

Now, the two oldest have specific items they will not eat, but since they eat EVERYTHING else, I don't complain. 12 yr. old hates raw tomatoes, the texture bugs him. 7 yr old won't eat onions. But, as I said they eat everything else so I don't make a big deal about one dislike. 6 yr. old is a hoover.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Perfect advice. I only stumbled across this advice recently. My daughter was an pretty good eater until about 27 months. Then she nose dived and it was getting worse with every meal. Now that I've started the "I am responsible for what is offered and when / she is responsible for what is eaten and how much" idea, she is starting to branch back out and meal times are much more pleasant.
    I do make sure there is something at each meal that I am pretty certain she will eat. I vary that food group during the week to help balance her diet. If she still doesn't want to eat, oh well. It won't kill her. She has chosen this a few times - I think she likes the feeling of control. Toddlers are all about control.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My now 8 yrs. Daughter didthe same thing. I asked the dr. what to do and she said that as long as we offer it to her that our job is done it is up to her to eat it. If she does not then that was her choice, but that kids will not let them selves go hungery for long. And yes I admit I did fix the differant meals for her at first, but now she knows that she has to eat what we eat and that trying new things can be a good thing. Now it is just gettingher to eat hamburgers/hotdogs on buns and lunchmeat sadwitches on bread and not rolls lol . I just keep trying it with her and tell myself a little at a time.
    betsyjmg

Answer by betsyjmg at 5:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I make dinner and everyone has the choice to eat or not. If I'm making something new then the boy has to taste it before saying he doesn't like it. If he doesn't like it he can have a piece of fruit or make himself a PB&J sandwich. If I'm making something that I know he doesn't like I'll give him a small portion so he can try it again if he wants to but I'll make him something simple that he does like (ravioli and veggies say) so he doesn't go hungry.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I to tally agree with the Dr on this one!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2009