Does a religion have to make sense for you to follow it?

I just read an answer where the poster said that Christianity doesn't have to make sence to mortals because we aren't at the same level as God. But if a religion doesn't make sense why would anyone follow it. Do you think religion should at least be logical or should you just assume that God has all the answers and just follow him without thought...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldnt' follow anything that didnt' make sense to me, or that didn't encourage me to come to somehow understand. I don't believe God expects us to follow Him blindly.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think what she was *trying* to say was that there are things about God, about His love and his attributes that our minds cannot fully grasp simply because they are finite. Kind of like the concept of space. If you really TRY to grasp how vast space is, you really cant simply because we know everything in limits. With God there are no limits. IMO what she meant was that you dont have to fully grasp everything to the nth degree to follow that religion.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It has to make sense to me. Im not following blindly because it seems the "in" thing to do or cuz my folks taught me thats how it was,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• YA it has to make sense, and that is why I do not believe in any of it!! Cuz NONE of it makes any sense...shouting

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think it has to make sense - I don't think religous beliefs should go against reason. However since we are contemplating things beyond the natural - the supernatural - it would be unreasonable to expect to not fully understand everything. As a finite human being it's reasonable to expect that we wouldn't fully understand an infinte, all-powerful being, it's reasonable to expect there will be some 'mysteries' that we won't be able to fully grasp. Sp while faith goes beyond reason, it shouldn't go against reason.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yeah, i wouldn't follow it if it didn't make sense to me and i didn't know that it was true.

But that doesn't mean that I have God all figured out either. His thoughts are beyond comprehension. He has revealed Himself through the Bible and through His Holy Spirit, but beyond that I can't say that I have Him all figured out, my mind isn't big enough.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would never follow anything or anyone that didn't make sense to me.

Hence why I don't adhere to any religions : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When I was in church school, the minister called me a self actualized Christian because I told him I really don't believe all this garble dee gook and god nonsense. He said I already walk in the path of Jesus because I am a good person. Therefore, I do not need to understand anything nor do I need to follow anything.I'm good.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• it has to have a substantial amount of logic...TO ME. if less than 90% of it makes sense i wont get it or believe in it...but im like that about everything (its why i hate math).

there is nothing in this world that i fully understand all of the time...nothing...not even myself. so why would i expect God to be any different?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• OK just to clarify, we are talking about religion! 

For me to follow a religion it would have to gain nothing, demand nothing and suppress nothing!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009