how do you prepare a 13 month old for a sibling?

My little girl is 13 months old and i just found out im pregnant again. How do i prepare her for this? i dont want her to have any hard feelings toward her new brother or sister.

newmommy0810

Asked by newmommy0810 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was 13 months when I got pregnant with my daughter. My husband and I always pointed at my belly telling him there was a baby in there. We'd constantly tell him that he was going to be a big brother and make him feel like he was included with the whole thing. When I was ready to have the baby he couldn't wait. That's all he talked about. After I brought her home, he was excited about meeting his new sister, and then told everyone it was "his baby" lol. Congrats to you and the "big sis"
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 6:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't tell her for awhile, maybe til your about 7 or 8 months along. Then make her feel this is her baby too, let her help you pick out things for the baby, set up the babies things. When the baby comes make her feel involved, always refer to the baby as "our" baby, including her. Let her help you with the baby as much as she can, getting you diapers, clothes, etc... Just keep her involved, make sure she feels she has a place in all this. When I was pregnant with my 4th child, my 3rd child thought this really was mine and his baby! BTW....Congrats!!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Aww, congradulations!

I had the same question. Mine will be 13 months when the little one gets here (next month!). So i've no idea how to prepare. I've read to love on her and cuddle as much as possible, when im feeding the baby have Daddy rock her or when nursing is over rock her for a while. I'll be following this question as well.

Good luck with everything!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 7:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I disagree on not telling her. My dd was 16 mo when I found out I was preg with baby #2. I made her part of everything. I told her there was a baby in Mommy's belly. She would say, "Nooooo" in a funny way like I was trying to trick her. Lol. She was too young to understand that there really was a baby in my belly until further along in my pregnancy. As she got closer to 2 years, and I got bigger, she would rub lotion on my belly. It was wonderful experiencing pregnancy and watching her show increasing interest in the baby in my belly. She would rub my belly and feel my ds kicking. I explained as we got closer to the big day that we would go to the doctor, and he would help take the baby out of my belly. She totally understood at that point and was ready to meet her new baby brother. She was just over 2 when he was born.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 9:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Talk about it with her. Read books about it  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html (click on siblings/sibling rivalry/welcoming new baby).  Age appropriate books with pictures can help little ones understand, follow up with a conversation after reading the book. As you get closer to your due date, get her a "special baby" show her how you will feed the baby, care for the baby etc.  Use the words, gentle and easy etc. to help her understand.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• are you girls crazy?!!!!!! how on gods green earth can you handle two kids with the oldest not even being old!!! how olsd are yougirls? im not judginh or anything im just noisy lol
    Crushersmommy

Answer by Crushersmommy at 2:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2009