do you want to believe.......but cant

this is something ive seen more than once. people who WANT to believe in god and spirituality and a higher power...but they need that proof, they need something to validate it.....so it bothers them internally that they have this doubt for somethign they wish they could have.

what would you say to them?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I actually have NO DESIRE to rely on another being (other than myself) for my life. It is as simple as that. ESPECIALLY NOT a being whose very existence is VERY debatable!!banging head into wall

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i see where you are coming from. but i know more than on person who has this whole I want to believe....but i need proof thing going on
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I know what moki is referring to. There are several people here who I have seen comment that they've felt a spiritual tug towards something that is causing them to doubt their "doubt." Since they can't prove their feelings through scientific means, they are left torn as to what to think or believe.

I encourage people to just let go and believe what you feel lead to believe. There's no reason to deny your true feelings if it is going to make you unhappy. And who cares about what anyone else thinks? They're not living your life NOR your afterlife.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i guess in the end...its about what makes you happy internally.

but that doubt holds them back
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yeah, I feel that way sometimes. Sometimes I find myself going "There MUST be something out there." then other times I go "There's NO WAY there's something out there."

I tend to lean towards the latter more often though. That's why I remain an agnostic atheist, and not a full agnostic or a full atheist. If there was proof that every man woman and child on earth could see and touch and feel and experience, then yeah, maybe I would give a deity the time of day. But until then, I remain skeptical. I want proof that's as true as saying the grass is green, yanno? I don't buy into the whole "faith!" concept. I once had faith that Santa existed. Then I found out he wasn't real.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismmyths/a/AtheistsChoose.htm

Here. I cannot say all this in the limited characters given to me. If proof of existence were ever granted then logically this person could believe.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

I'm sure there are some who feel that way but I can honestly say that I am not one of them.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think a lot of my "quest" for "belief" came from my Christian upbringing. It's hard to go from a die-hard Christian to an atheist in six short months. I find myself slipping up and thinking like I used to. But logic tells me that I shouldn't be thinking the things my parents taught me to think.

I wish I could have the gift of being free from searching for a higher power. I would give anything to just be content with not believing.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• honestly, i would tell them that i cant give them that proof and i have no clue where they can find it. i would tell them to let their feelings guide them, but not to ignore their need for proof or else they will be denying themselves & still wont be happy. religion is not easy when you constantly have questions about the validity of it all...it may just be their path to wrestle w/ the idea of God. they arent the first nor the only.

id also offer to help them in anyway & promise to not put my own person spin on things.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When I was a kid, I really wanted to be able to believe, because I felt like an oddball since everyone around me believed and I just couldn't. Now that I'm grown and have studied religion, I'm fine with not believing. It's not just about not having proof, but the idea of a god has always felt completely wrong to me. Of course, it would be easier if I could believe that there was some magical being out there to solve anything that could go wrong, but that's just not reality.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2009