Please help me...normal?

Is it normal to not feel like your completely in love with your almost 2 week old baby? I feed him and put him back to sleep. I feel bad because I dont do much with him. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think for a lot of people this is normal. There is this idea that a mother is instantly in love with her baby the moment the baby is born. For some women, it takes a while to bond. And let's face it, as cute as infants are, they sleep a lot and can't interact as much as an older baby. Don't worry about it. My son had colic for the first two months, and it was hard for me because I felt so frustrated at not being able to help him feel better. After he got over the colic, the stress was gone and it was so much easier to be close with him. Just give it some time.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 7:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i thnk that means you have postpartum depression a little bit... i hurt that b4...

my sons dr though i had it too i wAS just crying b/c my son was so earily thats it haha and there was all the things around him... haha
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 7:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• maybe it is postpartum depression??
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• There's not much you really CAN do with a two week old. Unless you're feeling depressed or feeling like you're wanting to hurt the baby, I wouldn't stress much over it. New motherhood tends to go by in a daze. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 7:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It is normal. Sometimes love grows with time--especially if this is your first baby. It can be very difficult to love a little person who looks all crumpled & funny & can't hold a conversation that doesn't involve screaming. Take time to get to know your little boy. When he is awake for a few minutes, look into his eyes. Unwrap his blankets & kiss his tiny toes. Learn about every little part of him & enjoy the miracle of life that he is. Start taking him for short walks so he can spend time with you & start learning about the world. He will be spending more & more time awake as he grows. Dangle a rattle in front of him, take him into a warm bath with you (wear your swimsuit if it makes you more comfortable). Dress him in a new outfit every day & take a pic. Mostly, spend time with your little man & as you do so, you will grow to love him. Remember, this is the little person who was kicking you for 9 months!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It's very, very normal. Most moms don't have that instant "AHHH!" love. Babies are WORK. And they don't give back - no smiles, no hugs and kisses, no coos. Just eat, cry, poop, pee, and sleep. It takes many moms a while to fall in love with their child and it usually happens as the newborn starts to become a baby.
    You may have the baby blues. You may have PPD. Or you may just be a normal mom. Monitor your emotions over the next few weeks. If it gets worse or you are worried in any way, go see your doctor. Until then, keep holding him, feeding him, doing all the things you think you should. That's what he needs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My son is 6 months old and I'm still falling in love with him, he is also my first child and I have never felt so complete. i still remember when I first looked at his cute scrunchy face, my heart melted.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I have the opposite problem. Since my daughter was born 5 weeks ago I feel like I love her and have lost interest in my husband and stepson! I think it's just our hormones getting adjusted again...I would say give it a few more weeks before you start to worry...unless it's really upsetting you and then you might want to talk to your doc about the possibility of postpartum depression. I will also tell you that although I felt a connection to my baby as soon as she was born my feelings for her have grown SO MUCH over the last few weeks. Once they can make good eye contact and smile at you it really melts your heart.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I was the same way...She is a little stranger! Especially is it is your first. I went from liking her, to REALLY liking her about 2 months to basically being completely obsessed with her, a month or so later. Shes 10 months now and I would DIE without her. Relax and give it time...It will come :)
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• HE, sorry, thinking about my DD... :)
    Lauren24