This question has been asked so many times but.....

.......my son is a month and a half old and I think he's constipated. He hasn't had a BM in 2 days. I've been told that's normal but he's grunting and pushing real hard and nothing is coming out. Just real stinky farts!!! He doesn't seem to be in any pain but I'm just concerned. He's exclusively breastfed. Thank you in advance ladies for any advice!!

Noahsmom32825

Asked by Noahsmom32825 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely normal, as long as when he DOES go, it's not dry, hard, or pellet like. EBF babies can safely go up to 10 days without a bowel movement.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• if u do infant massage on his belly and it will help him to poo. like massage where his colin is in like a upside down U of where his colin is
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 8:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• sounds like he's just really gasy. did you have something to eat that you shouldn't have? For example; pizza and then breastfed him. That will really make him gasy with "stinky farts." I did this once and learned just like all mothers to becareful what you eat....
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• my docotr told me to give my baby juice when he was a month old. just 2oz about 2 time a day. but i didnt think it was a good idea. but it works. but if u dont feel like your baby old enough try rubbing there belly
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 8:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Belly rubs & warm baths help get things moving and help baby relax. He's too young for much else if you think he may be constipated. My ds is 11 months old and battles constipation, I think b/c of having been on antibiotic twice already for ear infections. I give him activia yogurt, blueberries, prune juice, oatmeal, as well as warm baths and belly rubs.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 8:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• drink some apple juice, or something that makes you poop a little bit before you nurse
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No offense to anyone who has offered advice on this, but really, nothing needs to be done ( IMO ). IF the baby passes hard, dry pellets when he eventually poops, THEN I might worry, but it'd still depend on other factors. As I'm reading this, I think I sound like a bitch, but I really don't mean to. It's late, and my brain isn't fully functioning enough to be as polite as I'd like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby.
    From http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2009