Wow, our mayor just raised the price of our plates

they just doubled the price to renew our plates and register our vehicles. Now we also have a $25 a month late fee for every month were are late to renew out plates. People are outraged here in colorado because this is just another hardship during these tough times. This is to fix our highways, I know we need to have safe highways for our familys and good roads so that our cars will last longer, but this is ridicules!

Some guy had an old boat they were fixing up and now have to pay $100 in late fees to get the plates.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As unpoputlar as new taxes and fees are I think they are going to have to be a reality. This current economic crisis is going to hurt and the decisions made are not going to be popular.  But that is the reality of the situation.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yep, You must live near me. I saw it on the news a couple of months ago and then again yesterday. It really sucks!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• In Minnesota, plates cost a humongous amount ---unless your car is really old. And we are in serious trouble if we are one day late--a ticket that goes on your record. My new Honda plates are $268.00. How does that compare to Colorado?
    Anonymous

• hmm, heres an idea-maybe govt employees should stop granting themselves cost of living increases-raising the cost back to their employers(the people). I read an article today that Govt is now considering placing GPS in cars and taxing how many miles you drive. This would only replace the fuel tax, we'd still have to play the high registration fees... And they wonder why people arent buying cars. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/nation/story/71078.html
    DawnPratt23

Answer by DawnPratt23 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Now we also have a $25 a month late fee for every month were are late to renew out plates

NY assesses a $9.00 fee if you dont register your car on time.  No grace period given.  And if you go 90 days or more you lose your license.   I went 89 days, because of error on the dmv's part.  I didnt have the $801.00 to pay.  So I had to PARK my car for 89 days. 

PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 9:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009