Do bicyclers need to carry insurance?

I've always wondered what would happen if they cause an accident. They are always riding on the windy country roads near my house and I've almost wrecked more than once because of them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• perhaps Life Insurance since auto drivers have little respect for them. LOL I believe legally the vehicle has to be motorized to need tags and insurance. So a moped would but a regular unmotorized bike wouldn't.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Pedestrians always have the right-of-way.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• And the right-of-way includes riding a bicycle down the middle of the road and refusing to move over when there is oncoming traffic or a blind turn, I suppose. It's so frustrating!!
    Anonymous

• I knew a kid once (I think he was 17) and he was on his way home from his girlfriends house one night (on a bicycle) and he was going up the highway and he got hit by an 18 wheeler and it killed him insantly. I dont know exactly what happened as far as legal matters go, but I do know that it was very tragic. I think people on a bicycle at night should always wear bright colors, have reflectors on the bike, and stay as far away from the road as possible.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• motorcycles do need insurance too, in my state at least
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• oh your talking bikes as in peddle right..LOL>>
    read the question again...sorry *talking to self*
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think there should be stricter laws for bicyclers. They are a hazard and have no concern for motor vehicles who DO pay insurance, registration, inspection. (Most of the time they have no concern).
    Anonymous