Do you keep your central air on Cool all summer long?

Do you guys keep windows closed and ac on all summer and just put it on like 75-80 that way the actual ac isnt running all day just when it gets hotter than temp set? Someone people tell me no turn it off keep windows open till its too hot than turn on others say keep Central air on cool all summer n keep it on like 75 whats ur opinion on keepin bill lower rather than thru roof!!!

MamaOf3Girls09

Asked by MamaOf3Girls09 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I keep it on 75 and on auto so that it will cut off by itself. Last summer I kept it on all summer long not on auto and it was on 70 the whole time my bills were crazy high. Now my bills are low, which is super good for me.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Mine is set to 70 and has been for a couple months now. Sometimes, I even go lower than that. I am hot. I am pregnant. I want the air on.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If it were to be on all summer long, and NOT on auto, it would wind up freezing up. It gets hot enough here that it runs constantly in the afternoons/early evenings as it is. We usually keep it on 73 but it depends on how I feel - sometimes I turn it down, sometimes I turn it up.

I have heard 78 recommended as the optimal temp setting for cost and coolness.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We keep it set at 70. Sometimes I'll open the north facing windows during the day before the air kicks in to keep it cooler but most of the time we let it do it's thing. So far our bills aren't much higher than when we just had the two window ones. I'm glad we went with the energy efficent one.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• we keep ours at 70. I have a two story house and when our heat index is over 110 like it has been the last few weeks the upstairs is still warm.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have it set on 70 all summer long, it only runs when the temp in the house goes above 70. Right now, I have it off because it is only like 60 degrees in SE Wisconsin. I have asthma so as soon as it gets to about 75 degrees, my ac is on so I can breath. It stinks having asthma and allergies because sometimes it is so beautiful out and I can't enjoy the breeze because I really enjoy breathing! LOL!!

If you live somewhere that the temp varies throughout the day or week, keep it on auto because it will cost more by turning it on and off and having the ac run to cool off a hot house.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Due to the high heat and high humidity here in VA all summer, and I'm a native of ME where it doesn't get like this, we keep our a/c on 68 when we're home and push it up to a scorching 70 when we leave the house for 4 hours or more at a time. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2009