I want to start potty training

My 18 month old daughter. I think for the most part she is ready. I want to be very easy with her on this and not push it. I have a potty and she has been sitting on it in the bathroom since 9 months. My question is, what is the best way to go about starting? Should I leave her in a diaper and just take her to the potty every so often? Or should I use pull-ups? Or maybe let her run around naked? How soon do LOs usually "get it"? If she dosent "get it" when should I give up? First day, a few days, a week? Please help me, I feel clueless!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• i started potty training my daughter at 6 months. she will be 8 months next week and i haven't changed a poopy diaper since.
    despite her age she seemed to catch on very well. I took her to the bathroom with me right when she woke up in the morning and then everytime i needed to go i would put her on her potty too. Eventually she started going and because she doesn't know how to speak yet she just straightens her legs out and doesn't move until i put her on the potty. try it out and see how it works for you
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 9:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• At 18 months leave it completely optional for her. If she wants to take of her diaper and sit on the potty while mommy goes potty, go for it.

I know that none of mine at 18 months even woke dry, and that is a big sign of readiness, but if they showed any desire to sit on the potty, I would have let them whenever they wanted to.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We had my oldest in Pull Ups for a while and had to put her in panties to get her fully potty trained. Pull ups are great to start out in, to get them used to the whole idea of something not quite a diaper, but they don't work long-term to help them understand potty training.

At 18 months, just don't push her. My kids normally showed interest about then and then stopped for a few more months. It took quite a while to potty train the oldest, but my middle child potty trained herself about 2 years old (older siblings make it so much easier!). I also have an 18mo and she's wanting to sit on the potty and telling us when she's wet or poopy... we plan on just taking it slowly and letting her go at her own pace for now.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would let her go at her own pace. My son is 20 months and sometimes asks to go to the potty. I take him, and sometimes he goes and sometimes he doesn't. I praise him give him a little candy or chocolate if he does. If he doesn't, I put his diaper back on and he goes back to playing. So he's getting an introduction to it, at least. The farthest I would push is maybe asking her on a regular basis if she needs to go.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2009