My son is a little over a month old and he is already eating 7 ounces every 3 hours. Is it okay to start him on cereal at night so that he doesnt get sick and overweight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's way too soon for that(cereal). He won't get sick or overweight. Feed the baby on demand. It can fluctuate.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Feedin him cereal that soon will make him sick and over wieght. His tummy cn't handle all that yet.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I agree with the other posters. It's way too soon for anything besides formula or breastmilk. There is no possible way for a baby to be overweight. If he isn't throwing up his food, he isn't getting sick. If you're concerned, talk to your pediatrician. Don't ask moms on here.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• in my opinon and from my experience i think its just fine to give them cereal at that age if they spit it up they are not ready for it if they gobble it down and are just fine with it then do it. Listen to your baby not whate everyone else tells you because every baby is different
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No, it's too early. His eating habits will change as he experiences growth spurts. Ignore old ppl who tell you to give him cereal before bed. Much has been learned over the years, and doctors recommend waiting until 5 - 6 months to begin cereal for a reason. Let that baby fill his tummy with BM/ formula for now. He may be going through a growth spurt and just be extra hungry for his milk right now. Nothing wrong with that.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 9:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Your doctor will tell you no too!
    Anonymous

• i know im a bad mommy but i started my son at 6 wks old. i just put a very small amount in his bottle at night and built up from that. and yes it did help him sleep a little longer. i started out with rice because of less likely to have a reaction.

Anonymous

• I was given rice cereal at 6 weeks and was (GASP) bottle fed exclusively, have had fewer illnesses and weight issues than my cousin who was born a few months before me, was exclusively breast fed, and didn't have cereal until the doctor said ok (around 6 months). This is just my own experience. As one poster said listen to yourself and your baby, every child is different.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Speak to your Dr about it. Call tomorrow and just ask for a consultation over the phone. This one will be a quick and easy issue to solve between you and you Dr.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• One month is WAY too early. You would greatly increase his chances of being sick and overweight.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009