What are the signs they are ready to go from 2 naps to 1 nap?

My ds just turned 1 and the past 2 weeks he has been fighting naps more so than usual (actually he rarely would fight them). Plus its hard to get him to go to sleep at night now. I dont want to rob him of any sleep but does this seem like he is ready?

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 9:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• for me, it was when he started fighting that morning nap... then i bumped his afternoon nap up to about 11.30ish, which sucked, but after a few weeks, i was able to start pushing it back, closer to 1pm. then you might be able to put him down a little earlier at night.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My daughter has started fighting her morning nap now. She is ten months. The last week I just waited until around noon and she took ehr long afternoon nap then. Just try skipping the morning nap and putting him down earlier for the afternoon (make sure he doesn't get overtired though!).
    AJsMomma

Answer by AJsMomma at 9:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Well it's normal for kids that age to fight naps...it's a normal part of becoming a toddler. I would give it a couple of weeks before dropping one of the two naps. Keep track of how long it takes for him to fall asleep, etc. If it's obvious that he just doesn't need two naps, then go ahead and give him a nap around noon or 1pm.
    Anonymous

• My son went from two naps to one right around a year. I hit the same problem you did. The morning nap gradually got later and later until it was too late to put him down in the afternoon. he'd go down in the morning around 11 and sleep until 1 or 1:30. The afternoon was long initially but as he went down later for his nap, it balanced out. he now is 2 and goes down around 1 for a 2 hr nap most days.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Mine still happily took her morning nap but would refuse to take her afternoon one.

Try moving the morning nap later, dropping the afternoon nap, and trying to get him down for the night earlier - see if it helps. Remember, he still needs the same amount of sleep, he's just changing when he wants it. If it doesn't help, you can always switch back.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If he is fighting naps, why not just simply place him in the crib for a rest period? He does not have to fall asleep, but allow him some quiet time in his crib. When my son fought naps, this was my sanity-saver... the only way I could get some chores done. And he was usually fine laying in his crib and talking to himself for awhile. Thirty minutes is good enough. Naps are mom's break as well... so I wouldn't skip any "naps" yet. Just give him some time to himself for thirty minutes (as long as he is not screaming his bloody head off). You may want to consider moving up his bedtime if he is skipping nap.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:02 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• my daughter went from 2 naps to 1 at about 10 months. she did this on her own by gradually falling asleep later and later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2009